Scissor linkage: dynamic analysis

In summary, the person is asking for help in calculating the force needed to keep a scissor linkage system in equilibrium in a specific position. They provide a picture and mention the variables involved. They also ask for suggestions or links for help. Another person suggests trying a forum search, to which the first person thanks them and says they will take a look.
serbring
Hi guys,

I have a scissor linkage and I should calculate the force F for keeping the system in equilibrium in a specific position. The force must be applied in the the middle joint as you can see in the following picture:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/810/scissordisegno.png/

L is the arms lenght, instead a is the horizontal distance between the two joints. How can I calculate this force for a specific height and supported weight? Any suggestions, or links are appreciated.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
If this is homework/coursework show us your initial attempt for more help.

go well

1. What is a scissor linkage?

A scissor linkage is a mechanical linkage that is used to convert rotational motion into linear motion or vice versa. It consists of two or more links connected by pivot joints in a crisscrossing pattern, resembling a pair of scissors.

2. How does a scissor linkage work?

A scissor linkage works by transmitting motion from one link to another through the pivot joints. As one link rotates, it causes the other links to move in a coordinated manner, resulting in a linear motion. This motion can be used to lift or lower objects, as seen in scissor lifts and scissors jacks.

3. What is the importance of dynamic analysis in scissor linkages?

Dynamic analysis is important in scissor linkages because it helps predict the motion and forces involved in the system. This information is crucial in the design and optimization of scissor linkages for various applications, such as ensuring stability and preventing failure.

4. How is dynamic analysis of scissor linkages performed?

Dynamic analysis of scissor linkages is typically performed using computer-aided software or simulation tools. These programs use mathematical models and equations to simulate the motion and forces in the linkage system, allowing for accurate predictions and optimizations.

5. What are some common applications of scissor linkages?

Scissor linkages have a wide range of applications, including in automotive and aerospace industries, construction equipment, and household appliances. They are commonly used for lifting and lowering heavy objects, as well as converting rotational motion into linear motion.