Where can I find Creep Deformation data?

In summary, you are looking for data on creep strain versus time for nickel-base superalloys at three stress levels and three temperatures.
StewartC
Hello,

I am developing an analytical approach to determine the creep constants of a constitutive model for nickel-base superalloys.

I require creep strain versus time data to valid my approach.

I've searched through literature and have found very little usable data.

I need creep strain versus time data at 3 stress levels for 3 temperatures (9 tests).

Does anyone know where I could obtain this type of data?

Best Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums, StewartC

The manufacturers of the alloys?

You didn't mention specifically what alloys they are.

Any poly-crystalline nickel-base superalloy while do. I'm trying to develop a generalized approach which would work for most Ni-base superalloys (tertiary creep dominant materials).

In particular, I've been looking at Hastelloy X, Inconel 617, and Nimonic 80A? (I have some existing data for these materials but not enough for a full study)

Does this help?

Attachments

• Ni1.jpg
    Ni1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 514
  • Ni2.jpg
    Ni2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 568
Nice summary here of the alloys mentioned.
http://www.ewp.rpi.edu/hartford/~barthc2/EP/Other/Archive%20PDF%20Files/report11-28.pdf

Code:
              C      Fe     Ni    Cr    Co    Ti    Al    Mo    others
Hasteloy X   0.07   18.0   bal   22.0  12.5    -     -    9.0   0.6W
Inconel 617  0.07    -     bal   19.5   -     0.4   1.0   9.0   -
Nimonic 80A  0.08    -     bal   12.0   -     2.2   1.4    -    -

Hasteloy X is Ni-Cr-Fe-Co, while Inconel 617 is Ni-Cr-Mo and Nimonic 80 is Ni-Cr with 2nd phase particles if Ti and Al (moreso than 617).

There is an ASM reference book entitled, Atlas of Creep and Stress-Rupture Curves, which may have some plotted curves.
http://hts.asminternational.org/portal/site/www/AsmStore/ProductDetails/?vgnextoid=ad13e7c40209e110VgnVCM100000701e010aRCRD

and this might have some data
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/nuregs/contract/cr6824/cr6824.pdf

and possibly in this
www.iaea.org/inisnkm/nkm/aws/htgr/fulltext/iwggcr4_16.pdf

and on can browse this book:
Superalloys: a technical guide
By Matthew J. Donachie, Stephen James Donachie
http://books.google.com/books?id=vjCJ5pI1QpkC

Otherwise, there are several journals on metals, such as Metallurgical Transactions

Meanwhile, I look to see what I have on these particular alloys

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc,

Thank you for finding some relevant information.

The first paper has some background information on the materials.

The ASM atlas of creep I've already checked and didn't find much useful data.

The NRC Paper has a lot of good information.

I will look in the library for the "Superalloys" book.

I'm still search for more strain vs time curves.

Thanks

Superalloys are only partially standard. As compared with the inertia of mechanical activities, they're relatively young, so each supplier has its own names and properties. I suggest to get data from the suppliers.

A model: you want to have some equation and let it fit the experimental curve, with a set of parameters for each alloy, to interpolate the behaviour at intermediate temperature and stress, is that it? Because if someone wanted to predict the behaviour from the chemical composition, for instance, I doubt it can be done.

1. What is creep deformation data?

Creep deformation data is a type of material data that measures the amount of time-dependent strain or deformation that occurs in a material under a constant load or stress. It is typically used to analyze the long-term behavior and stability of materials.

2. Where can I find creep deformation data?

Creep deformation data can often be found in scientific publications, such as journal articles or conference proceedings. It may also be available through online databases or from material testing companies. Additionally, some universities or research institutions may have their own databases of material data that can be accessed.

3. What types of materials have creep deformation data available?

Creep deformation data is commonly available for metals, alloys, and polymers, but it can also be found for other materials such as ceramics, composites, and geological materials. The availability of data may vary depending on the material and its specific properties.

4. How is creep deformation data measured?

Creep deformation data is typically measured using specialized testing equipment, such as a creep testing machine. This machine applies a constant load or stress to a sample of the material over an extended period of time, while measuring the resulting strain or deformation. The data is then recorded and analyzed to determine the material's behavior under prolonged stress.

5. How can I use creep deformation data in my research?

Creep deformation data can be used in a variety of ways, such as in the design and development of new materials, understanding the behavior of existing materials under long-term stress, and predicting the lifespan or durability of a material. It can also be used to compare the performance of different materials and inform material selection for specific applications.