Chem e undergrad: did I just sign up for another death sentence?

In summary, the student is a third year planning to graduate early and has had a challenging past semester due to balancing multiple jobs and a heavy course load. They are currently trying to prioritize research while also considering grad school applications. Suggestions include communicating with professors, taking a lighter course load, and seeking opportunities to showcase research skills. Prioritizing mental and physical well-being is also important.
mrund3rd09
I'm a third year planning to graduate 1 semester early. Last fall, I took 18.5 credit hours and worked 2 jobs (paper delivery and research assistant). I was pretty wasted by the end of the semester. Subsequently, I got depressed the following spring semester and had to drop down to a part time student. I don't know if it had anything to do with the work I put myself through the semester before.

This fall, I'm taking 15.0 credit hours and working 3 jobs (paper delivery and 2 research positions). It's too late for me to drop any classes, but I can take one of my classes p/f if I choose to. I might do just that because the professor I have for that class has the tendency to suck the happiness out of people.

anyways, I want to be able to focus on research, meanwhile contemplating the possibility of going to grad school. I would like to prioritize research over my classes, but I don't think that's possible. At the same time, I pretty much have 1 year to demonstrate my abilities as a researcher before it's time for grad school applications. Can I get some suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

Firstly, I want to commend you for your hard work and dedication to pursuing your academic and career goals. It is not easy to balance multiple responsibilities and it is understandable that you may have experienced some burnout in the past.

Based on your post, it seems like you are currently in a challenging situation where you are juggling multiple jobs and classes, while also trying to prioritize research and prepare for grad school applications. My suggestion would be to prioritize and focus on what is most important to you at this time. If your ultimate goal is to pursue a career in research and attend grad school, then I would recommend prioritizing your research over your classes. However, it is important to still maintain good academic standing and not let your grades suffer too much.

One way to balance your workload could be to discuss your situation with your professors and see if there are any opportunities to reduce your workload or deadlines for certain assignments. Additionally, you could also consider taking a lighter course load in the future to give yourself more time for research and other extracurricular activities.

As for the class with the professor who may be causing you stress, I would suggest talking to them about your concerns and see if there is any way to improve your experience in the class. If not, then taking the class pass/fail may be a good option for you.

In terms of demonstrating your abilities as a researcher, I would recommend seeking out opportunities to present your research at conferences, publish papers, or participate in other research-related activities. This will not only showcase your skills and dedication, but also give you a chance to network and gain valuable experience.

Overall, my advice would be to prioritize your mental and physical well-being while also working towards your goals. It may be helpful to seek support from a counselor or advisor if you are feeling overwhelmed. Remember to take breaks and make time for self-care. Best of luck with your future endeavors!

1. What is a "Chem e undergrad"?

A "Chem e undergrad" refers to a student pursuing an undergraduate degree in Chemical Engineering. This field combines principles of chemistry, physics, and mathematics to design and operate processes that convert raw materials into useful products.

2. Why is being a Chem e undergrad compared to a "death sentence"?

The phrase "death sentence" is often used jokingly among Chemical Engineering students to refer to the heavy workload and challenging coursework that is typical in this field. It can be a demanding and rigorous program, but it also prepares students for a rewarding career in a variety of industries.

3. What are some common courses in a Chem e undergrad program?

Some common courses in a Chemical Engineering undergraduate program include thermodynamics, transport phenomena, chemical kinetics, process design, and chemical reactor design. Students will also take classes in chemistry, physics, mathematics, and engineering fundamentals.

4. What career opportunities are available for Chem e undergrads?

Chemical Engineering graduates have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, oil and gas, food and beverage, and environmental engineering. They may work as process engineers, research scientists, quality control analysts, or production managers, among other roles.

5. Is a Chem e undergrad program worth it?

The value of a Chem e undergrad program ultimately depends on the individual's interests and career goals. However, Chemical Engineering is a highly versatile and in-demand field, and graduates often have high earning potential and opportunities for career advancement. It is also a field that allows for innovation and making a positive impact on society through the development of new technologies and processes.