Permutations? and Group Theory

In summary, in a finite group, the number of nonidentity elements that satisfy the equation x^5=e is always a multiple of 4. This is because for every nonidentity element x that satisfies the equation, x^2, x^3, and x^4 also satisfy the equation and cannot equal each other or the identity. However, if the stipulation that the group is finite is omitted, the number of nonidentity elements that satisfy the equation x^5=e cannot be determined as it depends on the specific group being considered. Some possible approaches to solving this problem include trying different cyclic groups and direct products of cyclic groups.
Elwin.Martin

Homework Statement

In a finite group, show that the number of nonidentity elements that satisfy the equation x^5=e is a multiple of 4. If the stipulation that the group is finite is omitted, what can you say about the number of nonidentity elements that satisfy the equation x^5=e?

Homework Equations

Not sure anything should be here
"e" is the identity in Gallian's notation
x^5=e?

The Attempt at a Solution

I began typing that I wasn't sure how to show this, and now I'm doubting I understand why it's true. Involution (for groups) was covered, but I missed it and I'm hoping that I didn't miss anything relevant.

I tried some finite groups just to see how it would go:
So say we're looking at a simple group like, {1, 3, 5, 7} under multiplication modulo 8. The operation associative, it has an identity element (1), and has inverses for all of the components (each element is it's own inverse).

So besides 1 (or e here) I'll look at each element:
3^5=3 mod 8
5^5=5 mod 8
7^5=7 mod 8
(this make sense since they are all their own inverses, all even powers will be e and all odd power will be the element)

So I have 0 nonidentity elements...which is a multiple of 4, but gets me nowhere. I could try experimenting with larger groups (;O Monster group, anyone?) but I'm not sure that this would help as much as it would be tedious.

I don't know where I should go, conceptually. This is a good book, so I'm pretty sure all the information I need is present...I'm just not sure what I should be thinking about. I keep getting drawn to Cyclic groups and subgroups...I really wish I could show that like, break it into two cases. One where there are no nonidentity x such that x^5=e, and one where where there are. I have no idea if this would work though, and I can't see any easy way to test this.

Direction would be wonderful, this is the end of the problem set and I'm just burnt out.

Thanks for any and all advice,
Elwin

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a hint. If x is a nonidentity element that satisfies x^5=e, then what about x^2, x^3 and x^4. Do they satisfy x^5=e? Can any of them equal each other or be the identity? And picking sample groups to try is a good idea, but you picked one that's pretty unrelated to the problem. Try the cyclic group Z5, the integers mod 5. Or direct products of cyclic groups if you want to experiment. Leave the monster group alone.

Last edited:

What are permutations?

Permutations are arrangements of objects in a specific order. In mathematics, a permutation is a way to arrange a set of objects or elements in a particular order.

What is the difference between a permutation and a combination?

A permutation is an arrangement of objects in a specific order, while a combination is a grouping of objects without regard to order. For example, the permutations of ABC are ABC, ACB, BAC, BCA, CAB, and CBA, while the combinations are ABC, ACB, BAC, BCA, CAB, and CBA.

What is the significance of permutations in mathematics?

Permutations are important in many areas of mathematics, including combinatorics, probability, and group theory. They are used to solve problems involving arrangements and order, and they have applications in fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering.

What is group theory?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of groups, which are mathematical structures that consist of a set of elements and an operation that combines any two elements to form a third element. Group theory has applications in many areas of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and analysis.

How are permutations related to group theory?

Permutations are a fundamental concept in group theory. In fact, the set of all possible permutations of a given set forms a group, known as the symmetric group. Permutations also have important applications in the study of group theory, such as in the classification of finite simple groups.