Can this work? Moving in a vacuum

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using a magnetic field to propel a spaceship in the vacuum of space. However, it is determined that this idea is not plausible or practical due to the limitations of the magnetic field and its ability to create propulsion.
preaceps
Can this work?? Moving in a vacuum

Okay, so i have been bugged by this idea for about a week now. And unfortunately it has been quite some time since I took any real in depth science classes. I am wondering if this idea is even plausible.

In the vacuum of space, would you be able to have a spaceship with a paddle-wheel type arm on the back. Instead of the paddles though, it is an arm with wiring coiled around it so that you can run a current through it and create a magnetic field. If that arm could be put on a rotating joint to allow say 180% movement, so as to allow for turning, would the magnetic field( if it was strong enough) be able to move the ship?

ATM i am not so much concerned with the mass, current required, or speed gained as I am as is this even possible. Also I tend to have weird ideas, so do you think that this is just completely insane? Plausible but not practical?

Thanks,
Rob

Physics news on Phys.org

If you had a wire coiled around a paddle you really just have a solenoid, the magnetic field outside the solenoid is zero for the surface of the cylinder as each component is canceled by the components generated by the next turn of wire. So there is only really a B field at either ends of the arm but one end would be the ship itself.

How would generating a magnetic field into space cause a ship or whatever to move? Magnetic fields do no work

No, it's not plausible.
A magnetic field in itself generates no force to move the ship.

Thanks guys, i don't know. I was thinking of kind of like the maglev trains. Like have the metal ship being repulsed by a larger magnetic force.
Was just an off the wall idea i had but i don't know that much about this stuff. :)

You want the magnetic field to repel the ship? It would work, but you couldn't carry the magnet or solenoid along with you, you'd have to leave it behind so it would push you away from it. Even then, the propulsion would be good for only a few metres before the field strength was too small to do much more. So not practicable. Myth busted.

1. Can objects move in a vacuum?

Yes, objects can move in a vacuum. In fact, objects will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does movement in a vacuum differ from movement in air?

Movement in a vacuum is different from movement in air because there is no air resistance in a vacuum. This means that objects will not slow down or experience drag as they move through a vacuum.

3. Are there any limitations to movement in a vacuum?

While objects can move in a vacuum, there are some limitations. For example, objects cannot move faster than the speed of light in a vacuum due to the laws of physics.

4. Can objects change direction in a vacuum?

Yes, objects can change direction in a vacuum. This is because they can still be affected by external forces, such as gravity or collisions with other objects.

5. How does movement in a vacuum affect the behavior of gases or liquids?

In a vacuum, gases and liquids behave differently than they do in air. Without air pressure, gases and liquids will expand to fill the available space and may even boil or evaporate due to the lack of external pressure.