Plotting Complex Numbers on an Argand Diagram

In summary, to plot 3e^(-i5∏/3) on an Argand Diagram, you would first multiply the coordinates by 3, giving Re(re^iθ) = 3/2 and Im(re^iθ) = 3√3 / 2. Then, you would plot the point at (3/2, 3√3 / 2) on the Argand Diagram. This method was confirmed by another user, and the multiplication by 3 should be done on both the real and imaginary parts.
ZedCar

Homework Statement

Plot 3e^(-i5∏/3) on an Argand Diagram

The Attempt at a Solution

Re(e^iθ) = cosθ = cos(-5∏/3) = 1/2

Im(e^iθ) = sinθ = sin(-5∏/3) = √3 / 2

So I'd go along the x-axis to 1/2 and then upwards in the y-direction to √3 / 2 and plot the point there.

Is this the way you would go about doing this question, or some other method?

Is my answer correct?

Thanks!

P.S. I think I'm supposed to multiply by 3, but at what point do I do this? Exactly what is it that I should multiply by 3?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ZedCar said:
Re(e^iθ) = cosθ = cos(-5∏/3) = 1/2

Im(e^iθ) = sinθ = sin(-5∏/3) = √3 / 2
As you said, yes, you need to multiply the coordinates by 3. What you have above should be
Re(re^iθ) = r cos θ = ...
Im(re^iθ) = r sin θ = ...

Ok, thank you eumyang.

What is an Argand Diagram?

An Argand Diagram is a graphical representation of complex numbers on a two-dimensional plane. It was invented by Jean-Robert Argand in the 18th century.

What is the purpose of an Argand Diagram?

The purpose of an Argand Diagram is to visually represent complex numbers and their operations, making it easier to understand and analyze them. It also helps in solving equations and representing geometric transformations.

What is the meaning of "Plot e on an Argand Diagram"?

Plotting e on an Argand Diagram means representing the complex number e (Euler's number) on the graph by plotting its real and imaginary parts, which are 1 and 0 respectively. This results in a point on the diagram at the coordinates (1, 0).

How do you plot e on an Argand Diagram?

To plot e on an Argand Diagram, you simply plot the real and imaginary parts of e (1 and 0) on the horizontal and vertical axes respectively. This will result in a point at the coordinates (1, 0) on the diagram.

What is the significance of plotting e on an Argand Diagram?

Plotting e on an Argand Diagram helps in understanding the properties and behavior of complex numbers, as well as their relationships with real numbers. It also aids in solving equations involving e and performing operations with it, such as exponentiation and logarithms.