Volumetric Analysis Lab Calculation Question

In summary, the question asks for the number of moles of I2 produced from 25 mL of a diluted KIO3 solution with a molar concentration of 0.00241 M. The molar concentration of the stock KIO3 solution is 0.0241 M, and the molar mass of I2 is 253.8 g/mol. Using Avogadro's Constant, it can be determined that half a mole of I2 is produced from one mole of KIO3. However, it is unclear if there is any additional information that was not provided. Additionally, the standard iodometric procedure involves using potassium iodate as a primary substance, but the given information seems to be opposite of this.
supahman

Homework Statement

Hi there, I am asked this question in one of my lab calculation questions:

Calculate the number of moles of I2 produced from 25 mL of the diluted KIO3 solution.

Information that has already been obtained from my lab:

-Molar concentration of dilute KIO3: 0.00241 + or - .5% M
-Molar concentration of stock KIO3 solution : 0.0241 + or -0.05%

-Mass of I2: 253.8 g/mol
-Mass of KIO3:

Homework Equations

-Avogadro's Constant: 6.02214 X 10^23

The Attempt at a Solution

-Was not able to properly attempt the questions, as I am unsure where to being and how to complete it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your question should be, find how much I2 is produced from the given quantity of KIO3. This is assuming that the KIO3 is the source of the produced I2.

Your part of the reaction would include: KIO3 → (1/2) I2

You have enough information for how much moles of KIO3, and you know that half a mole of I2 comes from one mole of KIO3.

By any chance, does the situation have additional important information which you did not include?

symbolipoint said:
This is assuming that the KIO3 is the source of the produced I2.

Which is probably not a correct assumption.

(I guess that's what you hinted at in your last statement.)

Hey there,

That was all the information I was given. The I2 is what is used to produce the stock KIO3, which is then diluted with filtered water.

Huh? I'm actually asked that question... So I really don't know what to make of it. :s

Perhaps you are expected to know what the standard procedure is. Potassium iodate is a primary substance, and the way it is used is well known.

1. What is Volumetric Analysis?

Volumetric Analysis, also known as titration, is a common laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution by measuring the volume of a known concentration of another substance that reacts with it.

2. How is a Volumetric Analysis performed?

A Volumetric Analysis is performed by adding a known volume of a solution with a known concentration, called the titrant, to a measured volume of the solution being analyzed, called the analyte, until a reaction is complete. The volume of titrant used is then used to calculate the concentration of the analyte.

3. What equipment is needed for a Volumetric Analysis?

The equipment needed for a Volumetric Analysis includes a burette, which is used to accurately measure and dispense the titrant, a pipette, which is used to accurately measure the analyte, and a flask or beaker to hold the analyte solution.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of a Volumetric Analysis?

The accuracy of a Volumetric Analysis can be affected by several factors, including human error in reading volume measurements, improper calibration of equipment, and incomplete reactions between the titrant and analyte.

5. How are calculations performed in a Volumetric Analysis?

Calculations in a Volumetric Analysis involve using the volume of titrant used, the known concentration of the titrant, and the stoichiometry of the reaction to determine the concentration of the analyte. This can be done using the formula: concentration of analyte = (volume of titrant * concentration of titrant)/volume of analyte.