Prime Ideals of direct sum of Z and Z

In summary, the conversation is discussing the search for nonzero prime ideals of the direct sum \mathbb{Z} \oplus \mathbb{Z} which are not also maximal. It is noted that direct sums of prime ideals do not result in a prime ideal and that the zero ideal is not prime. The conversation then explores different possibilities for constructing prime ideals, such as using products or modding out by certain ideals. It is eventually concluded that the only prime ideals of \mathbb{Z} \oplus \mathbb{Z} are of the form p \mathbb{Z} \oplus \mathbb{Z} and that they are all also maximal, except for the two nonmaximal primes 0
joeblow
I am trying to find nonzero prime ideals of [itex]\mathbb{Z} \oplus \mathbb {Z}[/itex], specifically those which are not also maximal.

If I try to do direct sums of prime ideals, the resulting set is not a prime ideal. (e.g., [itex]2 \mathbb{Z} \oplus 3 \mathbb{Z}[/itex] is not prime since [itex](3,3) \cdot (2,2) = (6,6)\in 2 \mathbb{Z} \oplus 3 \mathbb{Z}[/itex], but [itex] (2,2),(3,3) \notin 2 \mathbb{Z} \oplus 3\mathbb{Z} [/itex].)

In fact, I don't think a prime ideal could be constructed in this way since I can always take a product of the form (1,x)(y,1) and obtain (y,x) and since 1 isn't a multiple of any integer other than 1, neither of the factors would have come from the ideal.

Can somebody please help me find the prime ideals? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
modding out a prime ideal is supposed to give a domain. does that help?

notice the zero ideal is not prime, why not?

0 is not prime because [itex](a,0)(0,b)=0[/itex], but [itex] (a,0),(0,b)\notin 0 [/itex].

Okay, so would [itex]\langle (2,3) \rangle [/itex] be a prime ideal and [itex]\langle (4,6) \rangle [/itex] be a prime ideal that is not maximal?

If you mod out by both, I believe you get an ID, but [itex]\langle (4,6) \rangle \subset \langle (2,3) \rangle [/itex] .

We have

[tex](2,5)*(5,3)\in <(2,3)>[/tex]

but neither (2,5), not (5,3) is in the ideal.

What about [itex](\alpha\mathbb{Z})\times \mathbb{Z}[/itex]

Okay, then [itex]p \mathbb{Z} \oplus \mathbb{Z} [/itex] is a prime ideal if p is prime, but it would also be maximal... or would it? If I mod out by it, I think I get a field, so it would have to be maximal.

If we have [itex] I= rs \mathbb{Z} \oplus \mathbb{Z} [/itex], then I can always write [itex](r,1)\cdot (s,1)=(rs,1)\in I [/itex], but [itex](r,1),(s,1)\notin I[/itex]. Thus, composites don't work.

Okay, I have proven that for any rings R and S, [itex]R \oplus S [/itex] can only have a prime ideal of the form [itex] I \oplus S [/itex] where I is a prime ideal of R or [itex]R \oplus J[/itex] where J is a prime ideal of S. Since the prime ideals of Z are pZ for prime p, the prime ideals of [itex] \mathbb{Z}\oplus \mathbb{Z} [/itex] are [itex]p \mathbb{Z} \oplus \mathbb{Z} [/itex].

BUT, we have [itex](\mathbb{Z} \oplus \mathbb{Z})/(p \mathbb{Z} \oplus \mathbb{Z})\cong (\mathbb{Z}/p\mathbb{Z}) \oplus (\mathbb{Z}/\mathbb{Z})\cong \mathbb{Z}/p \mathbb{Z}[/itex] which is a field.

Either I'm missing something simple, or there are no primes that are not also maximal.

Don't forget [itex]\mathbb Z \oplus p\mathbb Z[/itex] and the two nonmaximal primes [itex]0 \oplus \mathbb Z[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb Z \oplus 0[/itex].

1. What is a prime ideal of a direct sum of Z and Z?

A prime ideal of a direct sum of Z and Z is a subset of the direct sum that satisfies certain conditions, such as being closed under addition and multiplication, and being an ideal of the direct sum. It is essentially a subset of the direct sum that behaves like a prime number in the integers.

2. How are prime ideals of a direct sum of Z and Z different from prime numbers?

Prime ideals of a direct sum of Z and Z are different from prime numbers in that they are subsets of a larger mathematical structure, whereas prime numbers are individual numbers in the integers. Additionally, prime ideals can have more than one generator, whereas prime numbers only have one factorization.

3. Can a direct sum of Z and Z have more than one prime ideal?

Yes, a direct sum of Z and Z can have more than one prime ideal. In fact, it can have infinitely many prime ideals, as there are infinitely many prime numbers in the integers.

4. How are prime ideals of a direct sum of Z and Z related to the concept of prime factorization?

Prime ideals of a direct sum of Z and Z are related to the concept of prime factorization in that they are both ways of breaking down a larger mathematical structure into smaller, prime components. However, prime ideals consider the structure as a whole, whereas prime factorization focuses on individual elements within the structure.

5. Are prime ideals of a direct sum of Z and Z important in any specific branches of mathematics?

Prime ideals of a direct sum of Z and Z are important in abstract algebra and commutative algebra. They are also relevant in number theory, as they can provide insights into the structure of the integers and their factorization properties.