FTIR:What is the proper instrument for liquid samples?

In summary, the author is new to FTIR measurements and is using an FTIR machine which operates under vacuum. The author tried a holder/instrument but found it to be useless. The author is using different cell windows depending on the sample being measured. The author is 12 years old and used cell windows made of NaCl and CaF2. The author suggests using ATR mode when measuring samples because it is best for neat or very concentrated samples. The author has never seen an ATR fixture for vacuum though.
source2
Hi everyone;
I read some of FTIR threads in forums and they were at the different parts of forums so I decided that it's the best place for this question. But if I am wrong please move the thread.
I'm new for FTIR measurements. First of all I want to say that I'm doing this kind of measurements only for scientific purpose.

I use an FTIR machine which operates under vacuum. I tried a holder/instrument but it is not useful due to the fact that it has no transmission at some wavelengths.
What kind of holder/instrument are you using to measure liquid samples under vacuum?
Where can I find these holders/instruments?
Thanks for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've not used the FTIR at work but as far as I see the kit used it comes with some form of small transparent pucks that are for the purpose. Can't say what they are made of, they come with the kit. I think it is some form of inorganic salt. You put a drop of liquid on one, then put the other on top. You get a film of the liquid between the two pucks and they [are made to the right size to] fit in a demountable cell that slots into the analysing channel of the machine.

Edit; something like... http://www.perkinelmer.com/Catalog/...able Cell and Cell Parts for 1600 Series FTIR

..windows for same; http://www.perkinelmer.com/Catalog/Family/ID/Circular Demountable Cell Windows for 1600 Series FTIR

Last edited:
cmb said:
I've not used the FTIR at work but as far as I see the kit used it comes with some form of small transparent pucks that are for the purpose. Can't say what they are made of, they come with the kit. I think it is some form of inorganic salt. You put a drop of liquid on one, then put the other on top. You get a film of the liquid between the two pucks and they [are made to the right size to] fit in a demountable cell that slots into the analysing channel of the machine.

Edit; something like... http://www.perkinelmer.com/Catalog/...able Cell and Cell Parts for 1600 Series FTIR

..windows for same; http://www.perkinelmer.com/Catalog/Family/ID/Circular Demountable Cell Windows for 1600 Series FTIR

I'm reading one of the links. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

I worked with an IR spectroscopy group 12 years ago and the cell windows were NaCl and CaF2. We ran spectra with both because IR absorption patterns were different for the two salts. The windows are hard to clean. The NaCl especially tends to absorb water and requires a special polishing kit. Also, we used to inject liquid samples with a syringe and clean the cells between spectra by blowing air through them, a technique that worked in our case because the liquids used (bromobenzene derivatives) were highly volatile. So, in a nutshell, you can expect to need different cell windows. I used the CaF2 whenever possible because it was less hygroscopic and then used NaCl to cover wavelengths absorbed by the CaF2 window.

seekingtuva said:
I worked with an IR spectroscopy group 12 years ago and the cell windows were NaCl and CaF2. We ran spectra with both because IR absorption patterns were different for the two salts. The windows are hard to clean. The NaCl especially tends to absorb water and requires a special polishing kit. Also, we used to inject liquid samples with a syringe and clean the cells between spectra by blowing air through them, a technique that worked in our case because the liquids used (bromobenzene derivatives) were highly volatile. So, in a nutshell, you can expect to need different cell windows. I used the CaF2 whenever possible because it was less hygroscopic and then used NaCl to cover wavelengths absorbed by the CaF2 window.

Thank you for the answer and also for sharing your experience. It helped a lot.

I have one more question,
Is it a good choice to measure in ATR mode instead of using these cells?
Could I get same spectrum quality with this method? I mean in ATR mode.

Thermo Scientific has one in their accessory catalog. Item number 0030-101.

ATR is best for neat or very concentrated samples. I've never seen an ATR fixture for vacuum though.

1. What is FTIR?

FTIR stands for Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy. It is an analytical technique used to identify and quantify the chemical composition of a sample by measuring the absorption of infrared light.

2. How does FTIR work?

FTIR works by directing infrared light onto a sample and measuring the amount of light that is absorbed at different wavelengths. This absorption spectrum is unique to each chemical compound, allowing for identification and quantification of the sample's components.

3. What is the proper instrument for liquid samples?

The proper instrument for liquid samples is a spectrophotometer equipped with an ATR (Attenuated Total Reflectance) accessory. This allows for direct analysis of liquid samples without the need for sample preparation or handling.

4. What are the advantages of using FTIR for liquid samples?

FTIR offers several advantages for liquid samples, including minimal sample preparation, non-destructive analysis, and the ability to analyze a wide range of liquid samples without the need for specialized equipment.

5. Are there any limitations to using FTIR for liquid samples?

One limitation of using FTIR for liquid samples is that it may not be suitable for samples with high water content, as water can interfere with the infrared signal. Additionally, the sensitivity of FTIR may be limited for low concentration samples, and it may not be able to detect certain types of compounds such as volatile organic compounds (VOCs).