Think of a device that can transfer a payload to a tether

• Thread starter tomallan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Device
In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for ideas on how to create a mechanical device that can transfer a payload to a fixed place using a tether. The person initially suggests using a spring to launch the device and payload, but is unsure how to keep it in the air and attached to the tether. They ask for ideas and someone suggests using a rod that can lock into place, but the person says it is not possible because the required tether is a rope. The conversation ends with the person mentioning they have a school project and someone giving a hint about using a ratchet mechanism, but the person says it is not allowed and the device should be autonomous.
tomallan
hello there... thanks for viewing my post.

i need to think of a mechanical device that can transfer a payload to a through a tether and this device should lift up the payload and to a fixed place about 150 cm above the ground...

well i am thinking about a spring attached to the device and when the payload drops onto the device and then it will be like a catapult and launch into the fixed place.. but the problem is i can't think of a way to make the device fix into the tether after its launched.

any ideas would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having a bit of trouble following you. Your 2nd sentence is a bit confusing.

ok.. sorry for the confusing sentence... this is my idea.. after the spring launch, device will fling up with the rope as a guide (rope is in middle of device). i can't think of any way to make device hold up in the air long enough when carrying the payload

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    5.9 KB · Views: 436
You're wanting to launch a device with a payload into the air along with a guide rope? Is that correct?
What exactly will happen to the payload?

yes you are right. the device will be launched into the air. the payload should be fixed with the device... thank you for any help.

And you want to know how to attach the device/payload to the guide rope? Or how to keep it in the air for a while?

both of them. I want to know a mechanism possible than can make use of the rope to lift the device upwards and after reaching the top, be there for a while.

any update guys?

How about some sort of rod that locks into place instead of a rope?

its not possible. the required tether is a rope.. any ideas please.. I am very desperate

tomallan said:
its not possible. the required tether is a rope.. any ideas please.. I am very desperate

I'm sorry I don't know the details of your project well enough to really say more.

Is the rope fixed? Or can you wind it around a windlass?

tomallan said:

I have a very simple idea that should work well. It's your school project, though, so the PF rules say that I cannot just tell you how to do it.

Here's a hint -- how does a ratchet work? What is its function, and how does it accomplish this function? What variations on a ratched might work well in this application of yours with the rope...?

the ratchet method is not allowed. the mechanical device should be autonomus. Its like when i drop a payload onto it, it should automatically do the mechanical function. I was thinking about using pressurised air..

1. How does a device transfer a payload to a tether?

A device transfers a payload to a tether by using a mechanism, such as a robotic arm or a magnetic attachment, to securely connect the payload to the tether.

2. What is the purpose of transferring a payload to a tether?

The purpose of transferring a payload to a tether is to safely and efficiently transport the payload from one location to another, typically in space or underwater.

3. How is the payload released from the tether?

The payload can be released from the tether by using a mechanism, such as a latch or a release button, that detaches the payload from the tether and allows it to float freely.

4. What types of payloads can be transferred to a tether?

A variety of payloads can be transferred to a tether, including scientific instruments, tools, samples, and even other devices or vehicles.

5. Is transferring a payload to a tether a common practice?

Yes, transferring payloads to tethers is a common practice in many fields, including space exploration, deep-sea exploration, and industrial operations.