Learning Python: Where to start?

• Thread starter some_letters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Python
In summary, he is planning to learn Python this summer and is looking for advice on where to start. He has some experience with Java and hears that Python is also a good language to learn. He recommends the Learn Python the Hard Way website, though he does not like the way they teach symbols. He also recommends the following resources: the Matplotlib website, YouTube channel for learning Python, and the website for the introductory CS course at MIT.
some_letters
I'll be working for most of the summer and won't be able to take classes in anything so instead I will be teaching myself a new programming language! I have experience with java already and I've heard from places around the web that Python is both fun and useful. I figure I'll give it a shot.

Does anyone know of a good site to get started learning python? MIT has courseware for their intro to CSC class that teaches python but if there is an easier way for an amateur (I've had two semesters of java) then please point me in that direction.

if this happens to be in the wrong section, my apologies. Thanks!

EDIT: I'm a rising sophomore majoring in Physics. Are there different languages that would best suit my needs at this point?

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
So you have some experience in another Object-oriented language, Java, already?

In which case, I've heard good things about Learn Python the Hard Way, though you'll have to pay for any format other than HTML. I don't like their approach about memorizing the names of all the symbols (arbitrary conventions given to shapes), but it's still okay.

Last edited:
some_letters said:
I'll be working for most of the summer and won't be able to take classes in anything so instead I will be teaching myself a new programming language! I know java already and I've heard from places around the web that Python is both fun and useful. I figure I'll give it a shot.

Does anyone know of a good site to get started learning python? MIT has courseware for their intro to CSC class that teaches python but if there is an easier way for an amateur (I've had two semesters of java) then please point me in that direction.

if this happens to be in the wrong section, my apologies. Thanks!

I would say I'm still learning python but these have been real useful resources for me:

http://www.scipy.org/SciPy

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9FAE4422FA13FDE4&feature=plcp

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the introductory CS courses on MIT OCW teaches using Python. I enjoyed it.

In that "So You Want to Be a Physicist?" thread, he states that the two most widely used programming languages used by physicists are FORTRAN and C++.

Although, if they're so widely used by physicists, my guess is that there are various course options to learn those languages, and that they wouldn't require you to learn them on your own, in which case there can't be any harm in expanding your knowledge and learning another programming language.

I'm not fit to really tell you what to do, I just know that, in that specific thread written by a physicist, he pointed towards FORTRAN and C++ being beneficial to learn if you want to pursue a career in physics.

Here's the link to the thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=240792

I've been thinking about possibly learning C++ myself, since I'm still not entirely sure that physics is for me, so I want to experiment with computer programming and other scientific or technological endeavors that could potentially point me in the right direction.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
In that "So You Want to Be a Physicist?" thread, he states that the two most widely used programming languages used by physicists are FORTRAN and C++.
You generally want to know both a hard language (like C++) and a glue language (like Python). Those languages have different application domains. If you really can learn only one of them, not both, then choose Python because it will be more useful in your daily life (as non-programmer).

I would strongly advise against learning Fortran unless you really need it, *especially* not as a first language. First: Fortran is very simple, and if you are fluent in any other procedural language (like C++), you can pick it up in one or two days (I'm not joking). Second: Fortran, as commonly practiced, is missing many essential language features (e.g., it is quite possible to find a million line Fortran application which does not have a single compound type). Not having those features from the start will prevent you from learning how to use them naturally and productively, and it will lead to very bad and counterproductive programming habits.

Hey, just go tho the Pythong Programming website. It's really useful and gives you step-by-step directions.

1. What is Python and why is it important to learn?

Python is a high-level, interpreted programming language that is widely used in various fields such as web development, data science, artificial intelligence, and more. It is known for its simple syntax, readability, and vast libraries, making it a popular choice for beginners and professionals alike.

2. What are the best resources to start learning Python?

There are many online resources available for learning Python, such as online courses, YouTube tutorials, interactive websites, and documentation. Some popular options include Codecademy, Coursera, and the official Python website.

3. Is it necessary to have a background in programming to learn Python?

No, Python is considered one of the most beginner-friendly programming languages. While some basic knowledge of coding concepts can help, it is not a prerequisite for learning Python. With dedication and practice, anyone can learn Python regardless of their background.

4. How long does it take to learn Python?

The time it takes to learn Python varies for each individual and depends on factors such as prior programming experience, learning pace, and dedication. However, with consistent practice and dedication, one can gain a basic understanding of Python in a few weeks.

5. What can I do with Python once I have learned it?

Python has a wide range of applications, making it a valuable skill to have in various industries. Some common use cases of Python include web development, data analysis, scientific computing, game development, and creating automation scripts. It ultimately depends on your interests and career goals.