Prove cos(sin^-1 x)= [itex]\sqrt{1-x}[/itex]

• Thread starter nowayjose
  • Start date
In summary: If sin(sin^-1) cancels out, then sinx=0, but sin-1x is still sinx because sinx=sin^-1x. sin-1x is still the inverse of sinx because sin^{-1}x=-sinx.
nowayjose

Homework Statement

cos(sin-1x) = [itex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

I would assume trigonometrical identities would be used to prove this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello nowayjose! :smile:

nowayjose said:
I would assume trigonometrical identities would be used to prove this.

Yes, they would...

Why don't you start by assuming [itex]\theta = sin^{-1}x[/itex], and then draw out a triangle to find a relation between theta and cosine, that you can use...

PS : your thread title is misleading :uhh:

Thanks for the prompt reply!
Infinitum said:
PS : your thread title is misleading :uhh:

Sorry, and the question's undoubtedly stupid. I've used this method before and haven't happened to used any identities (or so i believe...).

[itex]\theta = sin^{-1}x[/itex]
[itex]sin\theta = x[/itex]
[itex] sin = 1/X [/itex]
the cosine side must therefore be [itex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex]
therefore the cosine angle is
[itex]\sqrt{1-x^2} / 1[/itex]

Or, different wording of the same idea: [itex]sin^2(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta)= 1[/itex] so that [itex]cos(\theta)= \pm\sqrt{1- sin^2(\theta)}[/itex]. So
[tex]cos(sin^{-1}(x))= \pm\sqrt{1- sin^2(sin^{-1}(x)}= \pm\sqrt{1- x^2}[/tex]

nowayjose said:
Thanks for the prompt reply!Sorry, and the question's undoubtedly stupid. I've used this method before and haven't happened to used any identities (or so i believe...).

[itex] sin = 1/X [/itex]
the cosine side must therefore be [itex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex]
therefore the cosine angle is
What you have written here makes little sense. If [itex]\theta= sin^{-1}(x)[/itex] then, yes, [itex]sin(\theta)= x[/itex], but you cannot write "sin" without some argument. And the "-1" does NOT indicate reciprocal (1/x), it means the inverse function.

consider the attached triangle picture (sorry its sloppy)

in that case Sin(theta) = x (hypotenuse is 1, opposite is x)

thus sin^-1(x) = theta.

For that same theta, using a^2 + b^2 = c^2...

x^2 + b^2 = 1^2
b^2 = 1-x^2
b = sqrt( 1 - x^2)

and cos(theta) = adj / hyp
so,
cos(theta) = sqrt( 1 - x^2) / 1
cos(theta) = sqrt( 1 - x^2)

recall:
sin^-1(x) = theta

so sub in theta

cos(sin^-1(x)) = sqrt( 1 - x^2)

Proved!

Attachments

• rtTri.png
    rtTri.png
    448 bytes · Views: 934
People sorry for the typo and for not being clear about my thought process.

Bascially what i meant was:

If the sine angle is X, then the opposite is X and the hypotenuse 1.

the adjacent side can now be calculated using pythagoras, which gives [itex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex]

The cosine angle is the quotient of the adjacent and the hypotenuse:

HallsofIvy said:
[tex]cos(sin^{-1}(x))= \pm\sqrt{1- sin^2(sin^{-1}(x)}= \pm\sqrt{1- x^2}[/tex]

Would you care explaining me how you multiplied out what's rooted?

I know sin(sin^-1) cancel out because you add the indices, so shouldn't that leave sin x..

Last edited:
Those are inverse functions, so they don't simplify like exponents do.
Since sinx and sin-1x are inverses and sin2x = (sinx)2, sin(sin-1x) = x and
sin2(sin-1x) = (sin(sin-1x))2 = x2

nowayjose said:
I know sin(sin^-1) cancel out because you add the indices, so shouldn't that leave sin x..

No, don't think of it that way. Inverse functions are a fancy word of saying "doing the opposite". You have some function, such as [itex]y=\sin(x)[/itex] and you want to make a process to get back to just x, and for this case its inverse will be [itex]\sin^{-1}(y)[/itex].
Other inverses are, for example, the inverse of [itex]y=x^2[/itex] is [itex]\sqrt{y}[/itex] because [itex]\sqrt{x^2}=x[/itex] (technically it's |x| so that's why we specify domains, in this case [itex]x\geq 0[/itex])
Another would include [itex]y=\ln(x)[/itex] and [itex]e^y[/itex]

Also, keep in mind that if you have a function [itex]y=x^n[/itex] and applying its inverse [tex]\sqrt[n]{y}=y^{1/n}[/tex] the reason we get back to x is because [tex]\left(x^n\right)^{1/n}=x^{n\cdot\frac{1}{n}}=x^{\frac{n}{n}}=x[/tex]

You multiply the indices, not add.

1. What is the formula for proving cos(sin^-1 x) = √(1-x)?

The formula for proving cos(sin^-1 x) = √(1-x) is: cos(sin^-1 x) = √(1-x) = √(1-sin^2(sin^-1 x)) = √(cos^2(sin^-1 x)) = cos(sin^-1 x). This is known as the Pythagorean identity for trigonometric functions.

2. How do you prove cos(sin^-1 x) = √(1-x) using a right triangle?

To prove cos(sin^-1 x) = √(1-x) using a right triangle, we can start by drawing a right triangle with one angle equal to sin^-1 x. This means that the opposite side of the angle will have a length of x and the hypotenuse will have a length of 1. Using the Pythagorean theorem, we can find the length of the adjacent side to be √(1-x^2). Then, using the definition of cosine (adjacent/hypotenuse), we get cos(sin^-1 x) = (√(1-x^2))/1 = √(1-x).

3. How does the inverse cosine function help in proving cos(sin^-1 x) = √(1-x)?

The inverse cosine function, also known as arccosine, helps in proving cos(sin^-1 x) = √(1-x) because it allows us to find the angle whose cosine is equal to x. In this case, we are looking for the angle whose cosine is equal to √(1-x). By taking the inverse cosine of both sides, we get sin^-1 x = arccos(√(1-x)). Then, using the definition of inverse functions, we can rewrite it as cos(sin^-1 x) = √(1-x).

4. Can you prove cos(sin^-1 x) = √(1-x) using a trigonometric identity other than the Pythagorean identity?

Yes, we can prove cos(sin^-1 x) = √(1-x) using the double angle identity for cosine, which states that cos(2θ) = 1-2sin^2(θ). First, we let θ = sin^-1 x, which gives us sin(θ) = x. Then, we can rewrite the double angle identity as cos(sin^-1 x) = 1-2x^2. Finally, we can use the Pythagorean identity (1-sin^2θ = cos^2θ) to get cos(sin^-1 x) = √(1-x).

5. How does the proof of cos(sin^-1 x) = √(1-x) relate to the unit circle?

The proof of cos(sin^-1 x) = √(1-x) relates to the unit circle because it is based on the relationship between the sides of a right triangle and the angles on the unit circle. In particular, the angle sin^-1 x represents the y-coordinate of a point on the unit circle with a corresponding x-coordinate of x. By using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric identities, we can relate this point on the unit circle to the sides of a right triangle, which ultimately leads to the proof of cos(sin^-1 x) = √(1-x).