Just Ordered a TI-89: How Does it Compare to the Old Model?

In summary: You must be good with your thumbs. :rofl: Mathematica will run on plenty of laptops, including the ancient. So, let's assume you can get a laptop for $150 + a Mathematica educational license for $150. The total cost is $300. Do you have any idea how much more capable that package is? Not to mention, how much faster it is? For quick problems, I can whip out my scientific calculator and do a linear regression with 10 data points. Keep in mind my 32 SII is about a fifth the size of a TI-89 titanium; perhaps, even smaller. Like I said, if you
LakeMountD
Just ordered one. How do you guys like yours? Seems like it is pretty badass and powerful. Is it any faster than the old ti-89?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Sorry to interrupt. No flaming intended here...I have a question:

What exactly are students doing these days that require calculators with better speeds than others? All through engineering I used almost all of the functions on my calculator, but speed was never an issue. It was wether I had a specific function. I read a lot these days about people comparing speeds of calculators and it never really made a lot of sense to me.

Fourier expansions of functions is one thing i do that takes time. Programs take up cpu cycles as well. Data spreadsheet manipulation. Things like that.

You have to realize that modern calculators are essentially mini-computers.

franznietzsche said:
Fourier expansions of functions is one thing i do that takes time. Programs take up cpu cycles as well. Data spreadsheet manipulation. Things like that.

You have to realize that modern calculators are essentially mini-computers.

In that case, it's much faster to use something like Mathematica or Maple. Why would you need spreadsheet manipulation on a handheld device? If anything, drag a laptop along with you that has Excel/Mathematica/Maple/Matlab installed. That, in my opinion, is the best package.

I seriously have not used any of my graphing calculators in quite awhile. I'm mostly seen hauling around my HP 32SII, and it does a very good job at racking up some calculations. If I ever find myself needing to know an anti-derivative, there's usually a CRC book or computer with Mathematica or Maple installed within proximity.

Edit: Also, why would you be doing Fourier analysis on a handheld device? For educational purposes, I could see it being beneficial, however, Fourier analysis is best done on a computer with a CAS. I'd hate to see the TI-89 Titanium computing a Fourier series with 1000 terms and then trying to display them in `pretty print.'

Last edited:
graphic7 said:
In that case, it's much faster to use something like Mathematica or Maple. Why would you need spreadsheet manipulation on a handheld device? If anything, drag a laptop along with you that has Excel/Mathematica/Maple/Matlab installed. That, in my opinion, is the best package.

I seriously have not used any of my graphing calculators in quite awhile. I'm mostly seen hauling around my HP 32SII, and it does a very good job at racking up some calculations. If I ever find myself needing to know an anti-derivative, there's usually a CRC book or computer with Mathematica or Maple installed within proximity.

Its much more convenient. Its about the right tool for the job. I can enter in ten quick data points into a spreadsheet on my calculator, and then get a linear regression, and graph said function faster than i can get a spread sheet program opened on a computer. SO no, its not faster to use a computer.

A computer would be overkill for what i use the calculator for. When i actually need a computer, i'll go and work on that. For quick problems, its utterly unnecessary. And far more expenseive to just buy a laptop and a copy of maple for those purposes.

franznietzsche said:
Its much more convenient. Its about the right tool for the job. I can enter in ten quick data points into a spreadsheet on my calculator, and then get a linear regression, and graph said function faster than i can get a spread sheet program opened on a computer. SO no, its not faster to use a computer.

A computer would be overkill for what i use the calculator for. When i actually need a computer, i'll go and work on that. For quick problems, its utterly unnecessary. And far more expenseive to just buy a laptop and a copy of maple for those purposes.

You must be good with your thumbs. :rofl:

Mathematica will run on plenty of laptops, including the ancient. So, let's assume you can get a laptop for $150 + a Mathematica educational license for $150. The total cost is $300. Do you have any idea how much more capable that package is? Not to mention, how much faster it is?

For quick problems, I can whip out my scientific calculator and do a linear regression with 10 data points. Keep in mind my 32 SII is about a fifth the size of a TI-89 titanium; perhaps, even smaller.

Like I said, if you're using the calculator for educational purposes, sure it's more beneficial. You're not tangled to the complexities of a high-end CAS. I just find it more advantageous to buy a student license of Mathematica along with a cheap laptop to get used to a high-end CAS before you get out into the real world, rather than buying a $150 overly-simplified piece of plastic.

franznietzsche said:

They have spreadsheet add-ons for these calculators now, eh (damn I'm sounding old)? It takes nothing for even my old calculator to take in data points and spit out a regression. Perhaps it's all in the presentation. I guess I still don't see the need for "computing speed" in a calculator. Oh well. Times they are a changin'.

FredGarvin said:
I guess I still don't see the need for "computing speed" in a calculator. Oh well. Times they are a changin'.

So pacman runs faster while sitting through boring morning lectures. :rofl:

Since programming calculators became easy:

http://tigcc.ticalc.org/

But even before that they were making pretty wicked games in pure asm:

http://titech.free.fr/screenshots/sonic/hills.gif

http://titech.free.fr/screenshots/chrono/menu.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason most of us have calculators is for our math courses. In my high school the TI is required. The calculator is amazing. I can do things on it simply quicker than I could do on the computer. The thing is very convient, I don't want to be dragging a computer around with me. As for processing speed, it does matter. Programs can run quicker with faster processors... as can things such as generating graphs. The Titanium is the most amazing calculator you will ever have worked with most likely. It simply is awesome.

Tom McCurdy said:
The reason most of us have calculators is for our math courses. In my high school the TI is required.
Most high schools do require TIs. Considering the way math is taught in high schools, stating that the TI is required in one is not much of a compliment.
I can do things on it simply quicker than I could do on the computer. The thing is very convient, I don't want to be dragging a computer around with me.
Considering you can't figure out how to burn an ISO image, this tidbit is insignificant. Is it painful to drag around a 3lb laptop?
As for processing speed, it does matter. Programs can run quicker with faster processors... as can things such as generating graphs.
TIs are notoriously slow on matrix operations as well as most of it's CAS functions, such as differentiation and integration. If it's not in it's table, you're going to be sitting there awhile.
The Titanium is the most amazing calculator you will ever have worked with most likely. It simply is awesome.
Honestly, how many calculator brands have you worked with and can use proficiently other than TI?

Overall, the TI-89 is a poorly engineered device. You have no expandibility whatsoever. You're forced to use the TI transfer protocols (HPs work very with Kermit and X-modem). You're forced to use an antiquated programming language on them. HP SysRPL is at least somewhat modern. Yes, you can bring up TIGCC all you want, HPGCC has been out just as long. You drop them, they break. Try poking the screen. Is there a plastic layer over the LCD? Didn't think so. How's that tactile feedback? Nonexistent.

Edit: Oh, you might find this interesting or heart-breaking (Valentine's day pun, couldn't help myself). You think those TI CAS features are revolutionary? Nonsense. HP48s had better CAS features through 3rd party addons by '93 or '94, which is at least a year or so before the TI-92 came out.

Last edited:
Oh yeah the x4ATSstart 13 processing demon splits hydrofoam from the xtoport on the root system of the 1337 user... and its silver

And by the way... I know how to burn an Iso... I have burned many before sucesfully its just this particular iso that is giving me trouble...

The general response I have gotten from the labtop idea is that the calculator is a better solution for high school... I conducted a small survey of people and overall the general perception was this

hairynerdXXXX: If I ever find myself needing to know an anti-derivative, there's usually a CRC book or computer with Mathematica or Maple installed within proximity.
hairynerdXXX: wtf is that guy doing?

Basically the overall idea was that the calcultor is quicker for simple stuff. Often on tests only particular types of calculators are allowed. Also simply booting up and down isn't worth it when you want to integrate a simple function. The games on the calculator are also a plus, not that they compare to pc games. Anyway the calculator is built for math the pc is overkill for high school calc

Although most of my friends did get a giggle out of the iso rip on me..

Tom McCurdy said:
Anyway the calculator is built for math the pc is overkill for high school calc

Its overkill for most undergrad work, IMO.

Graphic, i will grant you that for professional work, a computer will prbably be the more suitable tool in many situations. But for high school and college students (the only people who are buying TIs anyway) that will not be the case.

1. How does the TI-89 compare to the old model in terms of processing power?

The TI-89 has a significantly faster processor than the old model, allowing for quicker calculations and graphing.

2. Are there any new features on the TI-89 that were not present on the old model?

Yes, the TI-89 has several new features including a built-in USB port for easier connectivity, a larger screen, and more memory for storing equations and programs.

3. Does the TI-89 have better compatibility with other devices compared to the old model?

Yes, the TI-89 has improved compatibility with other devices such as computers and printers, making it easier to transfer data and print graphs and equations.

4. Is the TI-89 easier to use than the old model?

The TI-89 has a user-friendly interface and a more intuitive design compared to the old model, making it easier to use for both new and experienced users.

5. How does the battery life of the TI-89 compare to the old model?

The TI-89 has a longer battery life compared to the old model, allowing for extended use without needing to replace or recharge the batteries.