My New Compass Won't Point North - What's Wrong?

In summary: Rather unlikely, I doubt it would be unknown taking into account fact we are on the outskirts of the large city. My guess is that the compass isn't picking up the magnetic field properly because there is something metal at the bottom of the pond (perhaps an iron meteorite). Plus, there are plenty of WWII remains around here, which creates another possibility.
Sqw
I bought a compass today. I tested it at the store, multiple times, spinning all which ways. It would always immediately spin itself around to accurately point north..

It is one of those ball compasses like what's on the back of a survival knife.

As soon as I got home it stopped pointing itself north when I would turn it. if I shake it it will sometimes point north but just as often it will wind up pointing south, west or east. I tried it outside on the porch as well. It still doesn't know the difference between north south west or east.

When I run a magnet around it from 3 - 4 inches away from it, it spins and follows the magnet. For that reason I assume the compass works, but then why won't it point north?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sqw said:
I bought a compass today. I tested it at the store, multiple times, spinning all which ways. It would always immediately spin itself around to accurately point north..

It is one of those ball compasses like what's on the back of a survival knife.

As soon as I got home it stopped pointing itself north when I would turn it. if I shake it it will sometimes point north but just as often it will wind up pointing south, west or east. I tried it outside on the porch as well. It still doesn't know the difference between north south west or east.

When I run a magnet around it from 3 - 4 inches away from it, it spins and follows the magnet. For that reason I assume the compass works, but then why won't it point north?
I am assuming that you don't live at the (magnetic) North Pole. So I suspect that the reason it is not working at home has something to do with the quality of the compass that you bought. Why not take it back to the store and see if it works there and if it doesn't, as I expect it won't, then you can ask for your money back.

AM

Before taking it back, you might take it away from home to see if it works. You many have some sort of magnetic anomaly at home.

You probably have magnetic stuff at home which overwhelms the Earth's magnetic field.

A magnet in the vicinity of a cathode ray tube televsision, for example, will be significantly affected by the magnetic field of the CRT...I could not run a tv at the steering station on my boat, for example, because the compass would be significantly deflected...

Check it in other places. Around house, where there is plenty of electrical/electronic devices, there is nothing strange about the fact is doesn't work. Even outside it doesn't have to work perfectly - I know of a place in the forest (sic!) about two miles from here where compasses stop to work (for no obvious reasons - no power lines, nothing, just trees and a small pond). Apparently something is interfering with the Earth magnetic field.

I know of a place in the forest (sic!) about two miles from here where compasses stop to work (for no obvious reasons - no power lines, nothing, just trees and a small pond). Apparently something is interfering with the Earth magnetic field.

Iron meteorite at the bottom of the pond?

CWatters said:
Iron meteorite at the bottom of the pond?

Rather unlikely, I doubt it would be unknown taking into account fact we are on the outskirts of the large city. My guess is that the pond is a clay pit (plenty of those around), so it is quite possible the ground is contaminated with some rusty remains of an old brickyard. Plus, there are plenty of WWII remains around here, which creates another possibility.

Alternatively...

ancient-aliens-i-dont-know-therefore-aliens.jpg

1. Why is my new compass not pointing north?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to a manufacturing defect, incorrect calibration, or a magnetic interference from nearby objects. It is also possible that you are not using the compass correctly.

2. How do I calibrate my new compass?

To calibrate your compass, hold it flat and level, and turn your body until the needle aligns with the north on the compass. Then, rotate the compass housing until the orienting arrow is aligned with the red magnetic needle. Your compass should now be calibrated.

3. What should I do if my compass is affected by magnetic interference?

If your compass is affected by magnetic interference, try moving away from any nearby objects that may be causing the interference. You can also try rotating your body to see if the compass needle responds differently in different positions.

4. Can I fix my compass if it is not pointing north?

If your compass is not pointing north due to a manufacturing defect, it may be difficult to fix on your own. However, if it is due to incorrect calibration or magnetic interference, you can try recalibrating or moving away from the interference to fix the issue.

5. How can I ensure that my compass is accurate?

To ensure that your compass is accurate, make sure to calibrate it properly before each use. You should also check for any magnetic interference and avoid using the compass near any objects that may cause interference. Additionally, it is a good idea to compare your compass readings with a map or other known directions to confirm its accuracy.