Law of conservation of momentum problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the distance moved by a boat with a person standing on one end of it when the person walks to the other end. Using the Law of conservation of momentum, the initial state is taken as rest with both the person and the boat having a momentum of 0. The equation 70(v-u)+200u=0 is used to solve for the distance moved, with the final answer being -2.15 m. However, there is uncertainty about the correctness of this approach.
sidzekrom
A boat is 4 m long and there is a person standing on one end of it. He walks across to the other end of the boat. The mass of the person is 70 kg and the mass of the boat is 200 kg. Find the distance moved by the boat.
Not very sure of my answer. Need help solving this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask yourself this-- does the center of mass of the person+boat move? Where is that center of mass when the person is at one end of the boat?

The problem was actually being solved using the Law of conservation of momentum...
This is what I tried– I took the initial state as that of rest where both the person and the boat possesses a momentum of 0.
I took the velocity of the person as 'v' and that of the boat to be 'u' for the duration of the motion. The velocity of the person relative to an observer on the harbor would be 'v-u' and using this i came up with the equation:
70(v-u)+200u=0
70v-70u+200u=0
70v=-130u
v=(-130/70)u
Multiplying by the time interval 't'
vt=(-130/70)ut
vt=4 (because the length of the boat is 4 m)
4= (-130/70)ut
ut= -4x70/(130)
ut= -2.15
Distance moved by the boat is -2.15 m
I am doubtful about this answer and I would like to know if this approach is correct.

1. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before an event will be equal to the total momentum after the event. This means that momentum is conserved and cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between objects.

2. How do you solve a conservation of momentum problem?

To solve a conservation of momentum problem, you first need to identify the objects involved and their initial velocities. Then, you can use the formula p = m x v (momentum = mass x velocity) to calculate the initial momentum of each object. Next, you need to consider the event that occurs and determine how it affects the momentum of each object. Finally, you can use the law of conservation of momentum to set up an equation and solve for the final velocities of the objects.

3. What is an example of a conservation of momentum problem?

A classic example of a conservation of momentum problem is a collision between two objects of different masses. For instance, a small car colliding with a large truck. In this scenario, the total momentum before the collision will be equal to the total momentum after the collision, regardless of the difference in mass between the two objects.

4. How does the law of conservation of momentum apply to real-life situations?

The law of conservation of momentum applies to real-life situations such as car accidents, sports, and rocket propulsion. In a car accident, the total momentum of the vehicles before and after the collision will be the same, even though the cars may have different masses. In sports, the movement of objects, such as a ball or a player, can be explained by the conservation of momentum. In rocket propulsion, the mass of the rocket decreases as fuel is burned, but the momentum remains constant due to the law of conservation of momentum.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the law of conservation of momentum?

One common misconception about the law of conservation of momentum is that the objects involved must be at rest before the event. In reality, the law applies to any closed system, regardless of the initial velocities of the objects. Another misconception is that momentum is only conserved in collisions, when in fact it applies to all interactions between objects. Additionally, some people may think that the law of conservation of momentum only applies to linear motion, but it also applies to rotational motion.