Schrodinger equation subjected to general potential

In summary, the conversation is about a question on an old exam that involves constructing an equation for a wavepacket using a general potential V and solving the Schrödinger equation for a time-dependent potential and a general potential. The question also involves comparing the results to classical physics and determining if the ground state energy can be zero.
ace1719
There are few questions on an assignment (taken from an old exam, YIKES!) that are confounding me and I was wondering if you in the physics community could help. Here is the question;

Given the wavefunction, ψ(x,t)=∫PHI(p)*exp[i((px-E(p)t)/hbar)]dp For the case where a quantum particle is subjected to a general potential V , show that from E = p^2/2m + V(x) you can construct an equation for the wavepacket given above. This equation is the Schrodinger equation.

Here are the follow up questions;

c. Consider a generic time-dependent potential V = V (x; t) = V0cos(OMEGA*t) where OMEGA is a generic angular frequency. Can you use the method of separation of variables to solve the Schrodinger equation for the time and spatial part? If yes, do the calculations. If not, provide
arguments.

d. Consider a general potential V (x) as shown below, and a particle with a total energy E1. Make a sketch of the ground state wave function you expect in all regions of space, i.e. for x < x1, x > x2 and x1 < x < x2. Make a sketch of PSI^2. What do you conclude? Compare your results in relation to classical physics. Could the ground state energy be zero as in the classical case?

I really don't know where to start. It makes me shiver to think that this may be on our exam in a week and a half...

Attachments

• SCHRODINGER.pdf
    31.8 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To answer question c, you can use the method of separation of variables to solve the Schrödinger equation for the time and spatial part. To do this, you need to write the wavefunction, ψ(x,t), as a product of two functions, one that depends only on x and one that depends only on t. Then, you can substitute this product into the Schrödinger equation to get two equations, one for the spatial part and one for the temporal part. By solving these equations you can determine the wavefunction for the particle in the time-dependent potential. For question d, you can make a sketch of the ground state wave function and PSI^2 in all regions of space by solving the Schrödinger equation for the general potential V (x). You can then compare your results in relation to classical physics and conclude whether or not the ground state energy can be zero as in the classical case.

1. What is the Schrodinger equation subjected to general potential?

The Schrodinger equation subjected to general potential is a mathematical equation used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a quantum system in terms of its wave function. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1926.

2. How does the Schrodinger equation relate to quantum mechanics?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It allows us to understand the behavior of particles at the microscopic level and make predictions about their future states.

3. What is the role of the general potential in the Schrodinger equation?

The general potential in the Schrodinger equation represents the forces acting on a quantum system. It can include electromagnetic, gravitational, and other types of potential energies. The potential determines the behavior of the system and affects its wave function.

4. Can the Schrodinger equation be solved analytically for all potentials?

No, the Schrodinger equation can only be solved analytically for a limited number of potentials, such as the harmonic oscillator potential and the infinite square well potential. For more complex potentials, numerical methods are used to find approximate solutions.

5. What are the implications of the Schrodinger equation for understanding the behavior of particles?

The Schrodinger equation allows us to gain a deeper understanding of the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. It has led to many important discoveries in quantum mechanics, such as the wave-particle duality of matter and the concept of quantum tunneling. It also has practical applications in fields such as electronics and materials science.