How do you determine the volume of gas in a container?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume and amount of gas in a container filled with argon, with known pressure and temperature but unknown mass and volume. Possible solutions include finding the volume of the container and using the ideal gas law to calculate the amount of gas. However, the density of the gas may need to be determined first.
Newbie12

Homework Statement

I have a container filled with argon and I need to find the volume and amount of gas in the container.

I don't know the mass or volume, but the measured pressure was 16.45psi, and the temperature was 298.59K.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

P = pressure
V = Volume
n = amount of gas
R = Gas constant (8.3145 J/mol K)
T = temperature

P=ρRT/M

ρ=gas density (Argon: 1.784 g/L @ STP)
M=molar mass (Argon: 39.948 g/mol)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can figure out the density but not the volume or amount.

Does anyone have any thoughts for how to solve with equations or with an experiment?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you only know the pressure and temperature, you can't figure out the total mass or volume. The gas could be a cubic centimeter or a cubic light year and have the same pressure and temperature.

Newbie12 said:

Homework Statement

I have a container filled with argon and I need to find the volume and amount of gas in the container.

I don't know the mass or volume, but the measured pressure was 16.45psi, and the temperature was 298.59K.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

P = pressure
V = Volume
n = amount of gas
R = Gas constant (8.3145 J/mol K)
T = temperature

P=ρRT/M

ρ=gas density (Argon: 1.784 g/L @ STP)
M=molar mass (Argon: 39.948 g/mol)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can figure out the density but not the volume or amount.

Does anyone have any thoughts for how to solve with equations or with an experiment?

Can't you find the volume of the container - either by dimensions (if it's a simple geometric shape), or filling it with a liquid then measuring the volume decanted?

The gas will fill its container, so its volume will equal that of the container.

After that, you should be able to calculate the no. of moles (amount) using the ideal gas law you quoted.

BTW, how did you figure out the density of the gas in the container? Because the gas is not at STP.

1. How do you measure the volume of gas in a container?

To determine the volume of gas in a container, you can use a variety of methods such as the displacement method, the water displacement method, or the ideal gas law.

2. What is the displacement method?

The displacement method involves filling the container with a known volume of liquid and then adding the gas. The difference in the initial and final volume of liquid represents the volume of gas in the container.

3. How does the water displacement method work?

The water displacement method requires placing the container in a larger vessel filled with water. The change in water level after the gas is added to the container is equal to the volume of gas.

4. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law, PV = nRT, relates the pressure (P), volume (V), temperature (T), and number of moles of gas (n) in a container. By rearranging this equation, the volume of gas can be determined if all other variables are known.

5. How accurate are these methods in determining gas volume?

The accuracy of these methods depends on the precision of the equipment used and the conditions under which the measurements are taken. It is important to carefully follow the procedures and take multiple measurements to ensure accurate results.