The weak force, first step of nuclear fusion in the Sun

In summary, the conversation discusses a textbook illustration that has caused confusion regarding the conversion of protons to neutrons in the core of the Sun for proton-proton fusion to occur. The caption in the illustration is found to be incorrect, with the placement of quarks being reversed. The participants in the conversation come to a mutual understanding and express their gratitude for the clarification.
bluejello
Hi. I need help please with a textbook illustration that has confused me.

Is the caption a typo? Should be "neutrons into protons" instead?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1386275750809.jpg
    1386275750809.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 872
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The illustration is correct. A helium-2 nucleus, aka a diproton, is not stable, so when two protons collide in the core of the Sun, one of them MUST be turned into a neutron in order for proton-proton fusion to work. Most collisions between protons do not result in fusion. It is only on the very rare occasions that the weak force is able to turn one of the protons into a neutron that fusion occurs.

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton-proton_chain_reaction

Hello,

Thank you for your help. I understand now that it's protons to neutrons.

My confusion stemmed from the placement of the quarks. Is the proton on the left incorrectly labeled with two down quarks and one up quark--should have two up and one down? Vice versa for the neutron on the right?

Thanks.

bluejello said:
My confusion stemmed from the placement of the quarks. Is the proton on the left incorrectly labeled with two down quarks and one up quark--should have two up and one down? Vice versa for the neutron on the right?.
Yep, you're right. The picture has it backwards!

Bill_K said:
Yep, you're right. The picture has it backwards!

Oh wow, I didn't even notice, lol.

Oh good, I felt stumped. Nice relief.

Thank you, both!

1. What is the weak force?

The weak force is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, along with gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong force. It is responsible for nuclear decay and is involved in the first step of nuclear fusion in the Sun.

2. How does the weak force contribute to nuclear fusion in the Sun?

The weak force plays a crucial role in the first step of nuclear fusion in the Sun, which is the conversion of hydrogen into helium. Specifically, it is responsible for the fusion of two protons into a deuteron, a process known as the weak interaction.

3. What makes the weak force different from other forces?

The weak force is unique in that it is the only force that can change the flavor of subatomic particles, meaning it can transform one type of particle into another. It is also the only force that violates the conservation of parity, which states that particles and their mirror images should behave the same way.

4. How does the weak force affect the behavior of particles in the Sun's core?

The weak force is responsible for the decay of unstable particles in the Sun's core, releasing energy in the form of neutrinos. It also helps regulate the temperature and pressure in the core, ensuring that fusion reactions continue to occur.

5. Can the weak force be harnessed for practical use on Earth?

While the weak force is not currently used for practical purposes on Earth, scientists are studying its properties and potential applications in fields such as energy production and medicine. It is an area of ongoing research and could potentially lead to new technologies in the future.