Possible research topics for high redshift galaxies and AGN

In summary, Simon is researching possible topics for his final year project at university. One suggestion is studying high redshift galaxies and AGN. He is also interested in the space between galaxies and whether or not the universe has a half life.
Cptn.Shelly
Hi all,

I am nearing the start of my final year at university and part of that year is a large research project on a subject of our choice. My main interests lie within the formation and evolution of high redshift (z ≥ 1) galaxies and AGN. At this stage I am only starting to think about what areas I could possibly research, but has anyone got any ideas of certain topics I could cover? I am particularly interested in the Optical and Radio side of things but I am definitely open to exploring more areas.

Simon

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Aren't you working with a faculty member on this project? Usually there is some kind of guidance. That would be a good person to ask, because they will likely need to give you some background, so it should be something they are interested in and have a vested interest in a successful outcome.

I would suggest you find the homepage of some recent conference on the subject that interests you and brows the talk slides (if there are any) to see what is happening.

Also, realize that what you end up do is most strongly decided by what the good advisor is willing to do. And what they are willing to do is typically set independently of your interests.

I have an idea, as galaxies with a greater redshift are increasingly accelerating from the observer, the subtle understanding means that the space between the galaxies has no limit with respect to the speed of light and the overall speed of relative galaxies becomes additive and together can exceed the speed of light. You can use this info to ask the question;
"Does the universe have a half life?" And can a subtle change in understanding lead to measuring the half life as a function of space increasing (constant velocity) with respect to overall potential energy decreasing. This is not a reduction of total energy, just usable particle energy. If this is true, then potential energy decrease is a direct result of space increasing and dark energy just becomes Newton's second law of motion. A constant force of potential energy decrease = a decreasing mass with the resulting mass continuously increasing in acceleration until all the potential energy is used resulting in a universe becoming space itself. The key is to show no local control in between galaxies with respect to the speed of light.
How is that for making your statement?!

Cptn Shelley, there is a very active AGN research group at Keele University, UK. That's where I did my PhD (on stellar evolution and nucleosynthesis though). Have a poke!

What is a research project?

A research project is a systematic and scientific investigation of a particular topic or question, with the goal of contributing new knowledge or understanding to a specific field of study.

How do I come up with ideas for a research project?

There are several ways to generate ideas for a research project. You can start by exploring current issues or gaps in your field of study, brainstorming with colleagues or mentors, conducting a literature review, or identifying a personal interest or passion that you would like to pursue further through research.

What makes a good research project?

A good research project is one that is well-defined, original, feasible, and contributes new knowledge or understanding to a specific field. It should also have a clear research question or objective, use appropriate research methods and techniques, and provide relevant and reliable results.

How do I choose a research topic?

Choosing a research topic can be challenging, but you can start by considering your personal interests, current issues and gaps in your field, and the feasibility of conducting research on a particular topic. You can also seek guidance from your mentors or colleagues to help you narrow down and refine your research topic.

What are some examples of research projects?

Examples of research projects can vary greatly depending on the field of study, but some common examples include experiments, surveys, case studies, and literature reviews. Some specific examples could be a study on the effects of a new medication on a particular disease, a survey on consumer behavior towards a specific product, or a literature review on the history of a certain cultural phenomenon.