This forum gives conflicting info on the HUP

• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum Hup
In summary: Bottom two rows are in a superposition.In summary, the article discusses the uncertainty principle and how it applies to the single slit experiment. The article states that the uncertainty principle applies to simultaneous or successive measurements of the same characteristic on different ensembles.
Demystifier said:
To help me answer that question, can you quote where exactly did I say that a measurement is "accurate"?

It's implicit in the OP. If it's not there, then one can trivially measure all values simultaneously.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My claim that one can simultaneously measure both position and momentum is also compatible with a modern view of quantum measurements based on POVM's (positive operator valued measures). The POVM measurements generalize the more traditional projective measurements.

There is no simultaneous eigenstate of both position and momentum, implying that there is no projector operator to a definite value of both position and momentum. Yet, coherent states can be used to construct a POVM corresponding to a generalized simultaneous measurement of both position and momentum.

For a recent brief pedagogic introduction to modern theory of quantum measurements see also
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1406.5535
The author is the same guy who lead the team which first performed a weak measurement of Bohmian trajectories:
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3077

For an authoritative theoretical treatment see the book
A. Peres, Quantum Theory: Concepts and Methods,
especially Secs. 12-9 and 9-5.

Last edited by a moderator: