Dirac Delta Function: Is delta(x-y) the Same as delta(y-x)?

In summary, The Dirac delta function, delta(x-y), is the same as delta(y-x) and both are only nonzero when x = y. This is because they are defined as the generator of a linear functional that extracts f(0). Therefore, both forms are identical according to this definition. However, this argument can be misleading when generalized.
eahaidar
Sorry if the question seems naive but if we have the Dirac delta function delta(x-y) is it the same as delta(y-x)?? Or there are opposite in sign? And why ?
Thank you for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
eahaidar said:
[...] the Dirac delta function delta(x-y) is it the same as delta(y-x)??
Yes.

And why ?
Because it is only nonzero when x = y.

Thank you very much just want to make sure

strangerep said:
Yes.
Because it is only nonzero when x = y.

Hm. I find this argument somewhat misleading. You can as well argue that its weak derivative [itex]\delta'(x)[/itex] is zero for [itex]x\neq y[/itex]. But there we have [itex]\delta'(-x)=-\delta'(x)[/itex].

I think if you want to see why the Dirac delta is an "even" distribution is to go back to the definition:

[itex] \int_{I(0)} \delta(x) f(x) dx = f(0) [/itex]

where [itex]I(0)[/itex] is a neighbourhood of 0. Now let's see what happens if we use [itex]\delta(-x)[/itex] instead:

[itex] \int_{I(0)} \delta(-x) f(x) dx = - \int_{I(0)} \delta(+x) f(-x) (-dx) = \int_{I(0)} \delta(x) f(-x) dx = f(-0) = f(0) [/itex]

The second step involves the substitution of [itex]x\to-x[/itex] and as we can see we do get the same result. That means according to the definition of the Dirac delta as the generator of the linear functional that extracts f(0) both [itex]\delta(x)[/itex] and [itex]\delta(-x)[/itex] are identical.

Cheers,

Jazz

Wooow Jazz amazing explanation I didn't know that it could be like that
Thank you

Jazzdude said:
Hm. I find this argument somewhat misleading.
(Sigh)

Well, I was trying to find a simple explanation since I wasn't sure whether the OP had studied distribution theory.

Silly me. I should have remembered: "simple explanations = trouble". :frown:

Last edited:
strangerep said:
(Sigh)

Well, I was trying to find a simple explanation since I wasn't sure whether the OP had studied distribution theory.

Silly me. I should have remembered: "simple explanations = trouble". :frown:

I'm not really sure what this is about. It was obvious to me that you tried to give a simple answer, and I don't think anyone ever doubted that you know the exact answer. I wasn't sure either if the OP understands distribution theory. Nevertheless I felt that your answer should not be the only one, because it can be problematic if generalised.

So please don't take this personal, there's really no reason for it.

Cheers,

Jazz

Jazzdude said:
I felt that your answer should not be the only one, because it can be problematic if generalised.
Agreed. I would have deleted my answer, but the editing time window had expired.

So please don't take this personal, there's really no reason for it.
I didn't take it personally. I was just annoyed at myself for not realizing my answer could indeed be misleading in the way you pointed out.

Thanks for contributing.

1. Is the Dirac delta function symmetric?

Yes, the Dirac delta function is symmetric. This means that delta(x-y) is equal to delta(y-x).

2. What is the mathematical definition of the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function is a mathematical function that is defined as a point mass at the origin, with an integral equal to 1.

3. How is the Dirac delta function used in physics and engineering?

The Dirac delta function is often used in physics and engineering to model point sources, such as point masses or point charges. It is also used as a distribution to simplify certain mathematical calculations.

4. Can the Dirac delta function be graphed?

No, the Dirac delta function cannot be graphed in the traditional sense. It is a mathematical abstraction that represents a point mass and has a value of infinity at the origin.

5. Is the Dirac delta function a continuous or discrete function?

The Dirac delta function is a continuous function. It is often described as a "generalized function" that is not a traditional function, but rather a distribution that is defined by its properties and not by an explicit formula.