Kinetic Energy of particle in 1D and 3D well

In summary: Therefore, the kinetic energy, which is proportional to p2, is also independent of position. So, in summary, the kinetic energy of a particle in a 3D infinite well is not dependent on position, unlike in a 1D infinite well.
PsychonautQQ
So my professor said that the Kinetic energy of the particle in a 3D infinite well is dependent on position where in a 1D infinite well it's NOT dependent on position. She is sort of notorious for being wrong apparently and many of my undergrads are telling me she is wrong.

I understand that in a one dimensional infinite well the wavelength will be well defined so the energy will be well defined and constant everywhere, but in a 3D infinite well where the ratio of n/L for each dimension (x,y,z) are not equal to each other, therefore the wavelength of in the x y and z direction will be different and when you combine the wavefunctions to get the surface that fits the given dimensions of the well, the wavelength won't be well defined so it seems energy of the particle won't be well defined either...

where is my thinking wrong/right??

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you professor means, but the kinetic energy is usually understood as its average value over the wave function. Therefore it cannot be dependent on position since the definition of average value itself requires an integration over the coordinates of the wave function.

PsychonautQQ said:
So my professor said that the Kinetic energy of the particle in a 3D infinite well is dependent on position where in a 1D infinite well it's NOT dependent on position. She is sort of notorious for being wrong apparently and many of my undergrads are telling me she is wrong.
She is wrong.

PsychonautQQ said:
I understand that in a one dimensional infinite well the wavelength will be well defined so the energy will be well defined and constant everywhere, but in a 3D infinite well where the ratio of n/L for each dimension (x,y,z) are not equal to each other, therefore the wavelength of in the x y and z direction will be different and when you combine the wavefunctions to get the surface that fits the given dimensions of the well, the wavelength won't be well defined so it seems energy of the particle won't be well defined either...
The wavelengths in the x, y, z directions give the three components of the momentum, px, py, pz, The momentum p of the particle is the magnitude of the momentum vector, given by p2 = px2 + py2 + pz2, and this is independent of position.

1. What is the difference between 1D and 3D wells?

1D wells refer to a system in which particles can only move along one dimension, while 3D wells involve motion in three dimensions. This means that the particles in a 1D well can only move back and forth, while particles in a 3D well can move in any direction.

2. How is the kinetic energy of a particle in a well calculated?

The kinetic energy of a particle in a well is calculated using the formula KE = ½mv², where m is the mass of the particle and v is its velocity. This formula applies to both 1D and 3D systems.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of particles in a well?

The kinetic energy of particles in a well is affected by the mass of the particle, the velocity or speed at which it is moving, and the dimensions of the well. In a 1D well, the particle's kinetic energy is also affected by the width of the well, while in a 3D well, it is affected by the height, width, and depth of the well.

4. How does the potential energy of a well affect the kinetic energy of particles?

The potential energy of a well can affect the kinetic energy of particles by limiting their motion. In a deep and narrow well, particles will have lower kinetic energy compared to a shallow and wide well, where particles can move more freely and have higher kinetic energy.

5. Can the kinetic energy of particles in a well be changed?

Yes, the kinetic energy of particles in a well can be changed by altering the parameters of the well, such as its dimensions or potential energy. Additionally, external forces can also change the kinetic energy of particles within the well.