Equilibrium Question: Can Anyone Help?

• Thread starter mister_mister3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, at equilibrium, the pressure and temperature of the vapour and liquid phases will be the same, and the colour of the liquid will not change.
mister_mister3
A simple question, it would seem, but I'm missing something..
This is a question in my text.

Q: Consider a stoppered flask containing benzene, iodine, and air, which has reached equilibrium at 298K. Which one of the following statements concerning the system at equilibrium is true?

a) The pressure of the vapour phase is not constant.
b) Evaporation of the liquid continues.
c) The colour of the liquid phase will change.
d) The mass of the solid iodine is not constant.

A: I haven't yet had my text throw me a curveball, but I have found numerous errors which I've confirmed with administrators of the course I'm taking. This one stumps me, which makes me think there's an error. For this one, they all seem untrue. for a), I would think that the pressue of the vapour phase would stay constant unless there were a change in temp. for b) at equilibrium, would evaporation not cease? c) the colour of the liquid will change - obviously not true, since there would have to be a change in temp, or pressure and for d) the iodine would have reached a point of saturation in the benzene at equilibrium, so that couldn't change either...

Can anyone point out what I'm missing? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Write out the balanced equation

mister_mister3 said:
A simple question, it would seem, but I'm missing something..
This is a question in my text.

Q: Consider a stoppered flask containing benzene, iodine, and air, which has reached equilibrium at 298K. Which one of the following statements concerning the system at equilibrium is true?

a) The pressure of the vapour phase is not constant.
b) Evaporation of the liquid continues.
c) The colour of the liquid phase will change.
d) The mass of the solid iodine is not constant.

A: I haven't yet had my text throw me a curveball, but I have found numerous errors which I've confirmed with administrators of the course I'm taking. This one stumps me, which makes me think there's an error. For this one, they all seem untrue. for a), I would think that the pressue of the vapour phase would stay constant unless there were a change in temp. for b) at equilibrium, would evaporation not cease? c) the colour of the liquid will change - obviously not true, since there would have to be a change in temp, or pressure and for d) the iodine would have reached a point of saturation in the benzene at equilibrium, so that couldn't change either...

Can anyone point out what I'm missing? Any help is greatly appreciated!

my guess is that B is the only one that is true. at equilibrium, the liquid will keep evaporating and condensing in the container, and the rates of both will be equal.

agreed

Thanks,

after spending more time examining the situation, I came to the same conclusion myself. It just required some more thought I suppose.

1. What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state of balance or stability in a system where there is no overall change or movement.

2. How is equilibrium achieved?

Equilibrium can be achieved through various processes, such as the equalization of opposing forces or the balancing of reaction rates.

3. What factors affect equilibrium?

Factors such as temperature, pressure, concentrations of reactants and products, and the presence of catalysts can affect equilibrium in a system.

4. What is the difference between dynamic and static equilibrium?

Dynamic equilibrium is when forward and reverse reactions occur at equal rates, while static equilibrium is when there is no movement or reaction at all.

5. How can equilibrium be disturbed?

Equilibrium can be disturbed by changes in the factors that affect it, such as temperature, pressure, or concentrations of reactants and products. This disturbance can result in a shift in the equilibrium position.