Proving the Existence of Limit Points through Convergence of Sequences

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that a number x is a limit point of a set A if and only if there exists a sequence of distinct points in A that converges to x. The person in the conversation mentions the need to prove this statement in both directions and considers using the definition of limit point and Cauchy sequences to help with the proof. Ultimately, it is suggested to use the definition of convergence to select an element in A for each n and show that it converges to x as n approaches infinity.
*melinda*
The question says:

Let [itex]A[/itex] be a set and [itex]x[/itex] a number.
Show that [itex]x[/itex] is a limit point of [itex]A[/itex] if and only if there exists a sequence [itex]x_1 , x_2 , ...[/itex] of distinct points in [itex]A[/itex] that converge to [itex]x[/itex].

Now I know from the if and only if statement that I need to prove this thing both ways.

So, the proof in one direction (I think) would be that I have a limit point [itex]x\in A[/itex], and would need to construct a sequence that converges to [itex]x[/itex].
Why are these things always easier said than done :confused: ?

One of the definitions in my book states:
[itex]x[/itex] is a limit point of [itex]A[/itex] if given any error [itex]1/n[/itex] there exists a point [itex]y_n[/itex] of [itex]A[/itex] not equal to [itex]x[/itex] satisfying [itex]|y_n -x|<1/n[/itex] or, equivalently, if every neighborhood of [itex]x[/itex] contains a point of [itex]A[/itex] not equal to [itex]x[/itex].

I feel like I can somehow use this definition, or at least the definition of Cauchy sequences to help with my proof. Only trouble is, I don't know what to do with what I have.

help?

Physics news on Phys.org
you need the definition of convergence also

Cauchy is irelevant here. Use your defenition of limit point to select an element [itex] y_n [/itex] in A for each n. as n goes to infinity, [itex] y_n [/itex] goes to x since 1/n goes to zero. And you're done. (one way)

1. What is a set?

A set is a collection of distinct objects, typically denoted by curly braces { }. These objects can be numbers, letters, or any other type of mathematical element.

2. What is a limit point?

A limit point is a point in a set that can be approximated by other points in the set. In other words, if we draw a circle around the limit point, there will always be other points from the set within that circle.

3. How are sets and limit points related?

Sets and limit points are related in that a limit point must be contained within the set. However, not all points in a set are necessarily limit points.

4. What is the difference between an open and closed set?

An open set is a set that does not contain its boundary points, while a closed set contains all of its boundary points. In other words, a closed set includes its limit points, while an open set does not.

5. How are sets and limit points used in mathematics?

Sets and limit points are fundamental concepts in mathematics that are used in various fields, including analysis, topology, and algebra. They allow us to define and study the properties of different mathematical objects, such as functions, sequences, and geometric shapes.