Solving a Problem: Exam Prep Help Needed

In summary, Alex was trying to find the equation for the tangent vector at (1,1,1), but needed the direction-cosines in order to do so.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone! I need to seee if i did this problem right...The answer isn't in the back of the book and I'm studying for an exam! here is my work and problem:
http://show.imagehosting.us/show/775021/0/nouser_775/T0_-1_775021.jpg
if that link is slow check this one:
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8606/lastscan3kj.jpg
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mr_coffee said:
Hello everyone! I need to seee if i did this problem right...The answer isn't in the back of the book and I'm studying for an exam! here is my work and problem:
http://show.imagehosting.us/show/775021/0/nouser_775/T0_-1_775021.jpg
if that link is slow check this one:
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8606/lastscan3kj.jpg
Thanks.
You still didn't answer the question: What would the graph look like?

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem has alittle calculator sign next to it...so that probably means its hard to graph, and our professor doesn't allow calculators on the exam, so I'm guessing he won't put it on there, but did i do the first part right?

First, you have not found the correct expression for the tangent vector at
(1,1,1)
You have been given the POSITION VECTOR FOR THE CURVE:
[tex]\vec{r}(t)=(t^{2},t^{4},t^{3})[/tex]
What is the general expression for the TANGENT vector at an arbitrary point "t" now?

You know that the tangent will pass through the point (1,1,1) (given in the question) , now for formulating the parametric equation for tangent , you also need the corresponding direction-cosines , Because you know that the corresponding Velocity vector = dr/dt will be parallel to the tangent , you can try differentiating the expression , and put in value of 't' to get the direction-cosines.

BJ

Dr.Brain said:
You know that the tangent will pass through the point (1,1,1) (given in the question) , now for formulating the parametric equation for tangent , you also need the corresponding direction-cosines , Because you know that the corresponding Velocity vector = dr/dt will be parallel to the tangent , you can try differentiating the expression , and put in value of 't' to get the direction-cosines.

BJ
A quibble:
They won't be direction cosines unless you normalize the tangent vector..

What is the best way to approach solving a problem?

The best way to approach solving a problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable tasks. This can help you identify the root cause of the problem and come up with effective solutions.

How can I stay focused and motivated while solving a problem?

Staying organized and setting a clear goal can help you stay focused and motivated while solving a problem. It's also important to take breaks and refresh your mind to avoid burnout.

What are some common roadblocks that can hinder problem-solving?

Some common roadblocks that can hinder problem-solving include fear of failure, lack of resources or information, and a narrow perspective. It's important to approach problem-solving with an open mind and be willing to try different approaches.

How can I effectively brainstorm solutions to a problem?

One effective way to brainstorm solutions to a problem is to use a variety of techniques, such as mind mapping, SWOT analysis, or the 5 Whys method. It's also helpful to involve others in the brainstorming process to get different perspectives.

What should I do if I can't seem to solve a problem on my own?

If you can't seem to solve a problem on your own, it's important to reach out for help. This could be from a colleague, mentor, or even online resources. Sometimes, a fresh pair of eyes and a different perspective can lead to a breakthrough in problem-solving.