Building a telescope ( from another one )

You might want to look at the plans for the 6" f8 on the same site.In summary, the provided guide for building a telescope from Apogee Inc. is suitable but may require adjustments due to differences in mirror size and focal length. It is recommended to refer to plans for a similar telescope with a 6" f8 mirror for more accurate measurements.
vincentm
Hello,

I'm looking to build my first telescope from http://www.apogeeinc.com/product.asp?itemid=766 (PDF file). My question is this, is this a suitable guide in doing so? If not what steps should i take to successfully complete this task?

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I like it. It's consistent with advice from reputable sources.

vincentm said:
Hello,

I'm looking to build my first telescope from http://www.apogeeinc.com/product.asp?itemid=766 (PDF file). My question is this, is this a suitable guide in doing so? If not what steps should i take to successfully complete this task?

It's OK as a guide but you won't be able to use any of plans directly for measurements of length. Your mirror is an f4, 4.5" 500 mm fl. The guide uses one of the same diameter but with a focal length of 1140 mm (f10 mirror).

The tube you should build for this mirror from the Bushnell scope will only be around half a meter long.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is a telescope built from another one?

Building a telescope from another one involves using the main components of an existing telescope, such as the lenses and mirrors, and incorporating them into a new and larger telescope. This process is known as telescope building or telescope assembly.

2. What materials are needed to build a telescope from another one?

The materials needed to build a telescope from another one include the main components of a telescope, such as lenses, mirrors, a tube, and a mount. Other materials that may be needed include screws, bolts, and other hardware to assemble the telescope.

3. How long does it take to build a telescope from another one?

The time it takes to build a telescope from another one can vary depending on the complexity of the project and the experience of the builder. On average, it can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to complete the process.

4. Can a telescope be built from any other telescope?

In theory, yes, a telescope can be built from any other telescope. However, it is important to consider the quality and condition of the components being used. It is recommended to use high-quality components from a reputable source to ensure the best results.

5. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge or experience to build a telescope from another one?

While prior knowledge and experience in telescope building can be helpful, it is not necessary. With the right resources and instructions, anyone can successfully build a telescope from another one. It is important to carefully follow instructions and take necessary safety precautions during the building process.