Activation Energy: Oxygen + Hydrogen - Electrons & Energy

In summary: And as for the bus - go for it!In summary, the explosive nature of compounds, such as oxygen and hydrogen, is due to the formation of water, which is a very stable molecule. This requires a spark to ignite, which provides the activation energy for the reaction to occur. As the bonds are broken and formed, a large amount of energy is released, resulting in an explosion. The role of electrons in this process is to interact with the nuclei to create chemical bonds.
tumor
What makes compound,lets say oxygen and hydrogen explosive?I think electrones are loosing energy but I"m not so sure.How this all works?.Please help me.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It's because hydrogen and oxygen can form water which is a very stable molecule. Hydrogen and oxygen require a spark to ignite, ie. they need a little bit of energy to push them towards water. That's the activation enegry. Once they pass this, they let go of A LOT of energy because water has much lower energy than hydrogen and water. THis energy is given off as light and sound, explosion. A spark starts off with converting like a million molecules of H2 and O2 to water, and then proceeds to give energy to the remaining 10^15 or whatever. Makes sense I hope. I'm eating and can't wait for the next bite while typing this.

I guess you are right , but to make things clear electrons are the main culprits in all reactions right.?Thanks for your help man, I have to catch the bus.

In this case thinkk of bond energies, bond formation results in exothermic reactions. Which bonds are being broken and which are being formed? Also, what is the ratio of molar equivalence of the product vs the reactants.

------------
http://groups.msn.com/GeneralChemistryHomework

Last edited by a moderator:
tumor said:
I guess you are right , but to make things clear electrons are the main culprits in all reactions right.?Thanks for your help man, I have to catch the bus.

Yes and no. The electrons by themselves wouldn't do this - you need to have a nucleus around so that there's a bound system. It's the electrostatic interaction of the electrons with nuclei that is the source of chemical bond energies.

1. What is activation energy?

Activation energy is the minimum amount of energy required for a chemical reaction to occur. It is the energy needed to break the bonds between molecules and initiate a reaction.

2. How does oxygen and hydrogen react to form water?

Oxygen and hydrogen react through a process called combustion, where the oxygen molecules break apart and bond with hydrogen atoms to form water molecules. This reaction releases a large amount of energy in the form of heat and light.

3. What role do electrons play in the reaction between oxygen and hydrogen?

During the reaction, the electrons in the outer shells of the oxygen and hydrogen atoms are shared, forming covalent bonds between the atoms. These bonds are what hold the atoms together in a water molecule.

4. What factors affect the activation energy of a reaction?

The activation energy of a reaction can be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants, and the presence of a catalyst. Higher temperatures and higher concentrations of reactants typically lead to a lower activation energy, while the presence of a catalyst can lower the activation energy even further.

5. How is energy released during the reaction between oxygen and hydrogen?

Energy is released during the reaction between oxygen and hydrogen in the form of heat and light. This energy is a result of the breaking and formation of bonds between atoms, which releases stored energy. This process is called an exothermic reaction.