Listening to T.V with Headphones?

• Thread starter T.O.E Dream
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Headphones
In summary: Some headphones come with a built-in noise Cancelling feature. These allow you to listen to your music or television program without having to turn up the volume to the maximum to prevent your parents or roommates from hearing. These headphones also have a range of up to 150 feet, which is better than infared because the headphones don't have to be within view of the base to work. The volume control is also on the headphones, so you can blast the things and no one else can hear a sound.
T.O.E Dream
I want to listen to T.V with headphones so that my parents can't hear it, and so that when there's noise in the background I don't have to blast the volume fully to hear it. Is there such a thing that would allow me to do this?

(And if they are headphones, are they wireless)

Computer science news on Phys.org
T.O.E Dream said:
I want to listen to T.V with headphones so that my parents can't hear it, and so that when there's noise in the background I don't have to blast the volume fully to hear it. Is there such a thing that would allow me to do this?

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_tv-headphones

Last edited by a moderator:
T.O.E Dream said:

Yes! I just got some and they plug into any device that makes noise, teevee, DVD player, Ipod stand, computer (to listen to CDs, anything that's making noise on the computer including teevee clips and whatnot) CD players, anything. And yes, they're wireless. When you set the headphones back on the stand -- and the stand is the component that plugs into your sound device -- the batteries recharge on the stand.

These things are the absolutely best! I've just recently discovered that Kenny says actual words in South Park because I could finally hear him. The sound quality is fantastic, so they are amazing for music. The distance you can travel away from the base is 150 feet in any direction because the sound picks up through floors and walls. It's better than infared because the headphones don't have to be within view of the base to work. The volume control is on the headphones, so you can blast the things and no one else can hear a sound. Plus they pick up FM radio independent of the docking station being plugged into a noise device. I am pleased beyond pleased with these things. I just bought them for myself as a Christmas gift. :biggrin:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/7/Electronics/AudioEquipment/Headphones/PRD~0441099P/RCA%2BCordless%2BHeadphones%2Bw%252BTransmitter.jsp"

There are quite a few brands on the market, but these are the ones I purchased (after purchasing a far more inexpensive set that kept losing the signal) so I'm ready to vouch for them all day long.

Interesting! :smile:

GeorginaS said:
Yes! I just got some and they plug into any device that makes noise, teevee, DVD player, Ipod stand, computer (to listen to CDs, anything that's making noise on the computer including teevee clips and whatnot) CD players, anything. And yes, they're wireless. When you set the headphones back on the stand -- and the stand is the component that plugs into your sound device -- the batteries recharge on the stand.

These things are the absolutely best! I've just recently discovered that Kenny says actual words in South Park because I could finally hear him. The sound quality is fantastic, so they are amazing for music. The distance you can travel away from the base is 150 feet in any direction because the sound picks up through floors and walls. It's better than infared because the headphones don't have to be within view of the base to work. The volume control is on the headphones, so you can blast the things and no one else can hear a sound. Plus they pick up FM radio independent of the docking station being plugged into a noise device I am pleased beyond pleased with these things. I just bought them for myself as a Christmas gift. :biggrin:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/7/Electronics/AudioEquipment/Headphones/PRD~0441099P/RCA%2BCordless%2BHeadphones%2Bw%252BTransmitter.jsp"

There are quite a few brands on the market, but these are the ones I purchased (after purchasing a far more inexpensive set that kept losing the signal) so I'm ready to vouch for them all day long.

Can't you also get headphones that filter out background noise? They're probably quite expensive and don't work too well.

EDIT: yep, http://west3man.blogspot.com/2007/02/review-noise-cancelling-headphones.html" , although that's from 2007, the technology is probably better now.

1. How does listening to TV with headphones affect your hearing?

Listening to TV with headphones can potentially damage your hearing if the volume is too loud. The close proximity of the headphones to your ears can amplify the sound and cause harm to your eardrums. It is important to keep the volume at a safe level and take breaks from using headphones to prevent long-term hearing damage.

2. Are there any benefits to using headphones while watching TV?

Yes, there are several benefits to using headphones while watching TV. Headphones can provide a more immersive and personalized listening experience, as they block out background noise and allow you to focus on the audio. They also allow you to watch TV without disturbing others around you, which can be especially useful in shared living spaces.

3. Can using headphones while watching TV improve sound quality?

In most cases, yes. Headphones can improve sound quality by delivering the audio directly into your ears without any loss of sound through external noise interference. However, the quality of the headphones themselves will also play a role in the overall sound experience.

4.Can listening to TV with headphones cause headaches?

It is possible for listening to TV with headphones to cause headaches, especially if the volume is too loud or if the headphones are worn for extended periods of time. The pressure of the headphones on your ears and the loud sound can contribute to headaches. It is important to take breaks and adjust the volume to a comfortable level to prevent headaches.

5. Is it safe for children to use headphones while watching TV?

It is generally safe for children to use headphones while watching TV, as long as the volume is kept at a safe level and they are not wearing the headphones for extended periods of time. It is also important for parents to monitor their children's usage and ensure they are taking breaks from using headphones to prevent potential hearing damage.