Firefox Not Working with PF: Error 404

• Thread starter matthewdb
  • Start date
In summary, some users are experiencing problems with Physics Forums (PF) in Firefox while it works fine in Internet Explorer. The error message "Method Not Implemented" is encountered and clearing the cache and cookies seems to solve the issue. Some users have also reported success with using private browsing mode. It is suggested to check cookie policies and potentially disable them for certain sites to prevent similar issues. Other users suggest that ad blockers may also be causing the problem.
matthewdb
Anyone else having a problem with PF in firefox? It works fine in IE (but I hate IE...)

When I try it in firefox I get this message:

Method Not Implemented

GET to /showthread.php not supported.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Physics news on Phys.org
you must have a bad url or something. 404 errors come up because of that. the .php file is a server-side file so I think the server is confused about your url try using www.physorg.com to get to the physicsforums.com or type in the www.physicsforums.com by itself.

I tried it on firefox on linux and it worked just fine. version # is 3.6.24

Have you tried deleting your cache and cookies?

I've been using Firefox for years here without issue.

Try clearing your cache:
Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Clear NowFailing that, try running Firefox in Safe Mode:
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Safe Mode

If it works in safe mode, then an extension is probably to blame.

Simon Bridge said:
Have you tried deleting your cache and cookies?

That did it, thanks.

What is weird is that it stopped working today on both my home and work computers. Different ISP, FF version and OS...

matthewdb said:
That did it, thanks.

What is weird is that it stopped working today on both my home and work computers. Different ISP, FF version and OS...

True but same operator

jedishrfu said:
True but same operator

OK, what did I do to make it quit? It wasn't a bad URL since I'm using a bookmark in both cases under FF and by purging the cache it works.

Google the error message and you'll see.

matthewdb: Exactly what url are (were) you using in your Firefox bookmark?

I have a similar problem that the site ceases to work with certain browsers.

I am pretty sure it's a combination of the stored profile (probably some cookie,) and the advertisements. It happens on other sites too.

My theory, at the moment, is that for my current profile the advertisement server either stalls or redirects to very slow sites, freezing the rendering process of PF web pages.

You might want to check whether you have the same problem by wiping all profiles/cookies under Firefox and see whether you can load the pages then. (I don't because I am too lazy to restore all passwords stored, so I usually switch browser.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to the main page:

https://www.physicsforums.com/

It will work for a while if I clear the cache and then it will quit on my next visit. I've just started using private mode and then it works fine. Private mode doesn't allow websites you are browsing to see your cookies so I'm sure it's a cookie problem with PF.

matthewdb said:
I am going to the main page:

https://www.physicsforums.com/

It will work for a while if I clear the cache and then it will quit on my next visit. I've just started using private mode and then it works fine. Private mode doesn't allow websites you are browsing to see your cookies so I'm sure it's a cookie problem with PF.

Actually, private browsing in Firefox does not change your cookie policy at all. It allows sites to do whatever is allowed by your normal cookie policy (including any exceptions you've set up); this also applied to the infamous flash cookies. Instead, what it ensures is that all cookies (including flash cookies) materialized during the session are deleted on termination. (Of course, it also deletes history and cache used in the session as well).

Given that this solves your problem you might want to try setting a cookie exception for physics forums that keeps cookies only for the session (downside - you will have to log in every time).

Personally, I disable cookies by default for all sites, and allow them only for sites that I want. This gets rid of all advertising cookies from associated advertising sites. I also completely disable flash cookies and refuse to use sites that require them (this you can't do from firefox; googling should get you instructions for this, if desired).

However, in your case you might say it is too late for this approach because you have too many cookies remembering logins that you don't want to lose.

Pick your poison.

[Edit: I realize that even before I became a paid member I never got ads because of security addons I have in firefox; not primarily adblockers (though those exist), but many ads are eliminated due to security policies). So if your problem is ad related, I never had it. I would not want to recommend ad blockers. Instead, I encourage contributing to this site.]

Last edited:
matthewdb: Your url looks good, I think. The software may have changed since then, but in the past, the PF software sometimes exhibited strange bugs if you omitted the "www." This is mentioned in post 2936816.

1. Why am I getting a "Firefox Not Working with PF: Error 404" message?

There are a few possible reasons for this message. It could be due to a temporary issue with the website or server, a problem with your internet connection, or a problem with the Firefox browser itself.

2. How can I fix the "Firefox Not Working with PF: Error 404" issue?

There are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to fix this issue. First, try refreshing the page or clearing your browser's cache and cookies. If that doesn't work, try using a different internet connection or restarting your device. You can also check for any updates for Firefox or try using a different web browser.

3. Is this error specific to Firefox or can it occur on other browsers?

This error is specific to Firefox and is related to a problem with the browser's ability to connect to the server. It may not occur on other browsers, but you may encounter similar errors on different browsers that are related to connectivity issues.

4. Does this error affect all websites or just one?

The error message "Firefox Not Working with PF: Error 404" can occur on any website, but it is not a universal issue that affects all websites. If you are only encountering this issue on one particular website, it may be a problem with that site's server or your connection to it.

5. Can I prevent this error from happening in the future?

Unfortunately, there is no guaranteed way to prevent this error from occurring in the future. However, you can reduce the likelihood of encountering it by regularly updating your browser and clearing your cache and cookies. It may also be helpful to have a stable internet connection and ensure that the website you are trying to access is functioning properly.