Particles actually being strings?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of strings in relation to particles and energy. It is mentioned that string theory predicts that particles are made of strings, and that the strings themselves are not made of energy. Instead, strings are considered to be the most fundamental concept that causes all other things to exist. The conversation also touches on the difference between mass and energy, and how strings are the fundamental object that gives rise to the property of mass.
questionpost
Particles actually "being" strings?

I've heard that particles and the fabric of space can consist of many small strings, but then I heard that things like electrons are actually single 1-dimensional strings themselves...how could they have mass if they were just pure energy?

Physics news on Phys.org

What do you mean by they are pure energy? As you said they are strings.

martinbn said:
What do you mean by they are pure energy? As you said they are strings.

Doesn't string theory predict that the strings themselves are made of energy?

questionpost said:

No, it doesn't.

martinbn said:
No, it doesn't.

Well that's the first I've heard that from any source, so what are they then?

questionpost said:

No more than saying contemporary theory predicts an electron, which is a point particle, is made out of 'pure energy'. It's quite a ridiculous term.

Simply, in string theory the fundamental object is a string, not a point as it is in the standard model. Vibrational modes of the string correspond to what are observed as different particles.

Nabeshin said:
No more than saying contemporary theory predicts an electron, which is a point particle, is made out of 'pure energy'. It's quite a ridiculous term.

Simply, in string theory the fundamental object is a string, not a point as it is in the standard model. Vibrational modes of the string correspond to what are observed as different particles.

Ok, but the question still remains: what are strings exactly if they are not energy?

questionpost said:
Ok, but the question still remains: what are strings exactly if they are not energy?

Fascinating... you thing that energy is a concept easier than strings, or particles? I think that the question should not bias towards an answer. Just ask "what are strings exactly", mark stop.

An approach to an answer could be to ask the question first for the QFT, the field theory of point particles, and then see if the answer can be applied to strings or why not.

questionpost said:

I think you're missing the point. Strings are fundamental within the theory. They are not made of or reducible to any simpler concept.

Nabeshin said:
I think you're missing the point. Strings are fundamental within the theory. They are not made of or reducible to any simpler concept.

Somehow that still doesn't answer my question. Your saying strings=strings, when in order for them to even exist they have to at the very least be in some way y=sin(x).

questionpost said:
how could they have mass if they were just pure energy?
You need to tell us a bit about the difference between mass and energy, and perhaps the difference between energy and pure energy, as you understand these terms.

Energy is a property of objects. Saying that strings are made of energy is like saying strings are made of velocity.

They are more fundamental than matter or energy. The property of matter that we call mass is actually a manifestation of the string's vibration at a particular frequency in a particular number of dimensions.

So, basically strings are the most fundamental concept that causes all other things to exist and that strings just are?

rglong said:
So, basically strings are the most fundamental concept that causes all other things to exist and that strings just are?

I think so, yes. Been a little while since I've read up on it.

1. What are particles actually made of?

Particles are believed to be made up of tiny one-dimensional strings that vibrate at different frequencies. These strings are thought to be the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

2. How do strings explain the behavior of particles?

According to string theory, particles are not point-like objects but rather tiny strings that vibrate at different frequencies. The vibrations of these strings determine the characteristics and behavior of particles, including their mass and charge.

3. Can we observe strings directly?

Currently, we do not have the technology to directly observe strings. They are believed to be incredibly small, about 10^-33 centimeters in size, which is much smaller than anything we can currently detect. Scientists can only infer the existence of strings through mathematical models and experiments.

4. How does string theory relate to other theories of particle physics?

String theory is a theoretical framework that aims to reconcile the laws of quantum mechanics and general relativity. It goes beyond the standard model of particle physics and offers a new way of understanding the fundamental nature of the universe. It is still being developed and studied by scientists, and its relationship to other theories is still being explored.

5. Is there any evidence for string theory?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for string theory. However, it is a promising theoretical framework that has the potential to explain many unanswered questions in physics. Scientists are continually conducting experiments and developing new mathematical models to test and support the validity of string theory.