Discover the Mathematics of Resolvent: Top Book Recommendations

• Thread starter SamuraiJack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a good book to learn about the mathematics of the resolvent, specifically in its application in quantum mechanics. The conversation suggests trying a math forum and clarifies that the term "resolvent" can have various meanings depending on the context. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in understanding the concept when discussing it with mathematicians.
SamuraiJack
Does anyone know a good book to learn about the mathematics of the resolvent?

thnx, the samurai.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, however I want to learn about its application in quantum mechanics. The books I read so far have only poor details about it. if Ill ask mathematicians about it, Ill get symbols that I wouldn't understand ;-)

SamuraiJack said:
Thanks, however I want to learn about its application in quantum mechanics. The books I read so far have only poor details about it. if Ill ask mathematicians about it, Ill get symbols that I wouldn't understand ;-)

Do you mean the complement to the spectrum?? Can you tell us what you mean with resolvent?

I am not an expert in mathematics but I can recommend some resources for learning about the mathematics of the resolvent. One book that is highly recommended is "The Resolvent Operator: A Mathematical Tool for the Study of Dynamical Systems" by J. William Helton and Mark A. Kaashoek. This book provides a comprehensive overview of the resolvent operator and its applications in various fields of mathematics and physics. Another great resource is "Spectral Theory and Quantum Mechanics: With an Introduction to the Algebraic Formulation" by Valter Moretti, which covers the mathematics of the resolvent in the context of quantum mechanics. Additionally, websites such as MathWorld and Wolfram MathWorld offer detailed explanations and examples of the resolvent and its properties. I hope these recommendations help in your understanding of this important mathematical concept.

1. What is a book about the resolvent?

A book about the resolvent is a scientific or mathematical text that focuses on the concept of the resolvent. The resolvent is a mathematical function used to solve complex equations or systems of equations.

2. Who would benefit from reading a book about the resolvent?

Individuals who are interested in mathematics, physics, or engineering may benefit from reading a book about the resolvent. This topic is especially relevant to those who work with complex equations and systems in their research or profession.

3. What are some common applications of the resolvent?

The resolvent has various applications in different fields. It is commonly used in signal processing, control systems, and quantum mechanics. It can also be used to solve problems in physics, such as finding the energy levels of a quantum system.

4. Are there any prerequisites for understanding a book about the resolvent?

A basic understanding of algebra and calculus is necessary for comprehending a book about the resolvent. Some familiarity with complex numbers and linear algebra may also be helpful.

5. Can a book about the resolvent be used as a textbook for a course?

Yes, a book about the resolvent can be used as a textbook for a course on mathematics, physics, or engineering. It can serve as a valuable resource for students who are learning about complex equations and their applications.