Iron oxide formation and solvation

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of water exposure on steel and rust formation. The speaker notices that water causes the steel to rust, but it eventually washes off and leaves a rust-free surface. They also mention their surprise at the lack of expansion despite the increased volume of rusty steel. The conversation ends with a question about the solubility of iron in water and the possibility of using a rust remover. The expert summarizes the conversation as discussing the effects of water on steel and rust, and the potential differences in steel types.
caters
I notice when I put my wagon out and expose it to rainwater that because it is not made of stainless steel, after a while of water exposure it rusts creating Iron oxide and Iron Hydroxide in the process.

Then after even more water exposure the rust washes off and I have steel with no rust in it.

I thought that it would just get more and more rusty until is is all iron oxide and iron hydroxide.

I also haven't noticed much expansion despite the fact that rusty steel takes up more volume than steel without rust.

Now why is this water forming rust and getting rid of rust? I didn't think transition metals like iron were soluble in water and thought that the oxygen in iron oxide would make it even less soluble in water given that O2 does not dissolve well in water even though some does.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
caters said:
Then after even more water exposure the rust washes off and I have steel with no rust in it.

Could be a matter of steel type. In general you are right about most kinds of steel becoming more and more rusty and the rust staying on the surface. Sure, some can drop off, but I don't remember ever seeing the rust dropping off and exposing a bare metal surface.

Yeah. I thought that could only happen with a rust remover such as phosphoric acid.

1. How does iron oxide form?

Iron oxide formation occurs when iron reacts with oxygen in the presence of water or moisture. This process is known as oxidation, and it results in the formation of rust on iron surfaces.

2. What factors affect the rate of iron oxide formation?

The rate of iron oxide formation is affected by several factors, including the amount of oxygen present, the level of moisture or humidity, and the temperature. Higher levels of oxygen and moisture, as well as warmer temperatures, can accelerate the formation of iron oxide.

3. What is the role of solvation in iron oxide formation?

Solvation refers to the process of molecules, such as water, surrounding and interacting with a solute, such as iron ions. In the case of iron oxide formation, solvation plays a crucial role as it helps to facilitate the reaction between iron and oxygen, making it easier for rust to form on the iron surface.

4. Can iron oxide formation be prevented?

While it is difficult to completely prevent iron oxide formation, there are ways to slow down the process. These include keeping iron surfaces dry, using protective coatings, and using corrosion-resistant materials. Regular maintenance and cleaning can also help to prevent the buildup of rust.

5. Is iron oxide formation harmful?

Iron oxide formation can be harmful in certain situations. For example, when rust forms on critical infrastructure, such as bridges or pipelines, it can weaken the structure and lead to safety hazards. Ingesting or inhaling large amounts of iron oxide can also be harmful to human health. However, in most cases, the presence of rust is not harmful and is simply a cosmetic issue.