Greenhouse Effect and Pets in Automobiles

In summary, the conversation was about a dog being left in a car at night in 84 degree weather. The question was whether the dog was in danger due to the greenhouse effect and whether the neighborhood's reaction was appropriate. The summary concludes that the dog was not in immediate danger since it was dark and the sun wasn't shining. However, it may have been uncomfortable for the dog. The conversation also included information about how cars retain heat and the effects of air conditioning. In the end, the dog's owner received a warning from the sheriff and the conversation highlighted the importance of proper education and information on the issue.
khughes
I have a question about the greenhouse effect that I hope you all can answer.
My neighborhood went bonkers last night b/c an older woman left her dog in her car at 10:30 pm to do some grocery shopping. It was dark, but it was 84 degrees.

I know this would be extremely dangerous if the sun was shining. I think this has something to do with sunlight coming in through the windows, being absorbed by the car's interior, but then not being able to escape as it radiates from the interior b/c the heat is trapped. I've been told the greenhouse effect.

Here's my question: Since it was dark and the interior was previously cooled by the car's AC (according to the woman) was the dog in danger?
I really feel bad for this woman (the neighborhood is ready to send a lynch mob and has contacted the media and her employer!), but don't want to support her unless the dog was truly not in danger.

Please try to keep your answers as simple and staight forward as possible since I will be relaying them to interested neighbors. Thank you so much for any information you can offer to help educate non-physics people!

Physics news on Phys.org
The dog was in little danger since the sun wasn't shining. The interior cannot get hotter than the exterior without a source of heat, like sunlight.

Drakkith said:
The dog was in little danger since the sun wasn't shining. The interior cannot get hotter than the exterior without a source of heat, like sunlight.

Almost ... glass blocks IR, so any heat generated by the dog would be trapped inside the car, minus leakage through the rest of the vehicle. When the car is in direct sunlight the visible light gets inside, is mostly absorbed by the coverings, and the extra energy is re-radiated in the IR.

So the net effect depends upon other sources of heat transfer from the interior.

Still, bottom line, it wasn't very pleasant for the dog, even if it wasn't potentially lethal. Even though the car A/C had been recently run, it doesn't stay cool in the interior of a car very long because you can't insulate a car very well, what with metal body parts and all that glass. Plus, the parking lot pavement stores a lot of heat during the day, which is slowly released at night, meaning the car is being indirectly heated while parked.

Sorry, but it's dark and the outside temp is 85 degrees. I seriously don't think that dog was in danger of anything but loneliness unless it was left inside for several hours.

(the neighborhood is ready to send a lynch mob and has contacted the media and her employer!)
Some neighborhood! looking out for the disadvantaged is admirable, but they I suspect they be extremely ( because of theuir reaction) misguided in this case. If it is a type of pug nose then more diligence from an owner is necessary than for other types.

Are they always this attention attracting. Contacting the employer is just mean spirited. You should attempt to find out who did that and be very wary of that person.

Dogs lose heat through their panting over their tongue. If the dog showed none of thes signs then it suffered no ill effects.
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/heat_illnesses.html

Drooling, or slight frothing at the mouth would be a one of the signs that a dog is having trouble keeping cool, although the dog is not yet in immediate danger.

Sorry, but it's dark and the outside temp is 85 degrees. I seriously don't think that dog was in danger of anything but loneliness unless it was left inside for several hours.

I will have to agree that the dog was in no danger. Where I come from, the dogs used to run around in 95 F or more weather with the sun shinning and love it, except that they used to enjoy lapping up a gallon of water afterwards and then park in the shade.

What are these people going to do next? Reprimand anybody who takes their out for its walk in the daytime on a hot day?

Oh, I certainly understand that the dog was not comfortable, and I think paging the owner in the store was appropriate. I just want to make sure the dog was not in imminent danger.

Neighbors seem to throwing out a lot of data they've heard on the local news/weather that are accurate for a sunny, clear day. This is far from that, sun completely set for more than an hour and the outside temp was continuing to cool, correct?

Btw, she did receive a warning from the sheriff.

In fact, your car will radiate heat if the night is clear, which will result in it being noticeably cooler inside than outside. That's why you get condensation and/or frost on the windows.

The dog was not in any danger.

khughes said:
Btw, she did receive a warning from the sheriff.

I'd lodge a complaint with someone about her receiving a warning. It was entirely unnecessary.

I have done "experiments" measuring the temperature inside a car compared to atmospheric temperature. The inside temperature can increase by as much as 30 degrees F on a sunny clear day. Opening the windows has little effect unless there is a really brisk wind. And the effect of air conditioning doesn't last long, a few minutes. Of course, this is for my car only. I didn't feel comfortable going around the parking lot and repeating this. :oldshy:
In shade, temperatures increased by only 5-8 degrees F. A reflective windshield cover further reduced this to 1-2 degrees F if facing the sun. I did all this to decide on whether to take my dog with me when going out. It paid off when a zealous citizen called the cops. I was able to show my data, and the inside temperature was quite comfortable for my dog. They were impressed, no ticket, no broken windows. (I was a TA for 4 years in weather and climate. So far this has been the only benefit.) :oldcry:

Likes billy_joule
The dog was in no danger, and it bothers me that people were contacting the employer and sheriff. Contacting someone's employer for a non work-related incident is never acceptable, and contacting the sheriff was dramatic overkill for a situation that was not dangerous (and could have easily been resolved in person with no police involvement).

I agree, the dog was probably in no danger in this case. However unless the owner leaves a note bystanders may have no idea how long the owner has already left the dog in the car without water. Has he just arrived? Been there 5 hours without water already? In the UK it would be quite acceptable to use the 999 emergency number to call the police if you believe the animal is in danger.

1. What is the greenhouse effect and how does it affect pets in automobiles?

The greenhouse effect refers to the trapping of heat in the Earth's atmosphere, which leads to an increase in global temperatures. When pets are left in automobiles, the sun's rays can enter the car and become trapped, creating a greenhouse effect and causing the temperature inside the car to rise rapidly. This can be dangerous for pets as they are unable to regulate their body temperature as effectively as humans.

2. Why is it dangerous to leave pets in automobiles, especially during hot weather?

Leaving pets in automobiles can be dangerous for several reasons, especially during hot weather. The temperature inside a car can rise quickly, even on mild days, and can reach dangerous levels within minutes. This can lead to heatstroke, dehydration, and even death for pets. Additionally, pets left in cars are also at risk of theft, escape, and being harmed by other animals or people.

3. What are the signs of heatstroke in pets and what should I do if I suspect my pet is suffering from it?

Signs of heatstroke in pets include excessive panting, drooling, lethargy, vomiting, and collapse. If you suspect your pet is suffering from heatstroke, immediately move them to a cool, shaded area and offer them cool water to drink. You can also use cool, damp towels to help lower their body temperature. It is crucial to seek veterinary care as soon as possible, as heatstroke can be fatal if left untreated.

4. Can I leave my pet in a car if I crack the windows or leave the air conditioning on?

No, it is not safe to leave your pet in a car even if you crack the windows or leave the air conditioning on. Cracking the windows does not provide enough ventilation to lower the temperature inside the car significantly. And while leaving the air conditioning on may seem like a solution, it can malfunction, leaving your pet in a hot car. It is best to never leave your pet in a car, even for a short amount of time.

5. Are there any alternatives to leaving my pet in the car while I run errands?

Yes, there are several alternatives to leaving your pet in the car while running errands. You can leave your pet at home in a cool, comfortable environment. If you need to bring your pet with you, consider going to pet-friendly stores or restaurants where they are welcome. You can also enlist the help of a friend or family member to watch your pet while you run errands. Lastly, there are pet-safe car harnesses and carriers that allow you to bring your pet with you while still keeping them safe and comfortable.