Difficulty with force problems involving friction

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving friction in Newton's second law. The problem involves a 68 kg crate being pulled by a rope inclined at 24° above the horizontal, and the questions ask for the minimum force required to start the crate moving and the initial acceleration of the crate. The conversation covers the process of approaching the problem by drawing a free body diagram and resolving forces into components, as well as using equations to find the necessary values. The conversation also discusses the difference between static and kinetic friction and how it affects the forces in the problem.
frankfjf
I finally managed to work through my difficulty with frictionless force problems involving Newton's second law, but now what's throwing me off is how to throw friction into the mix.

For this problem, for example:

A 68 kg crate is dragged across a floor by pulling on a rope attached to the crate and inclined 24° above the horizontal. (a) If the coefficient of static friction is 0.47, what minimum force magnitude is required from the rope to start the crate moving? (b) If the coefficient of kinetic friction = 0.29, what is the magnitude of the initial acceleration (m/s^2) of the crate?

I know that I first need to draw a freebody diagram, and when I do, I can perceive 4 forces acting on the crate: Normal Force, Tension, Weight, and of course Friction.

However, my problem is where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
The coefficient of friction can be expressed as

[tex]\mu=\frac{F_f}{N}[/tex]

where [tex]F_f[/tex] is the force excerted by the friction. This should give you a start.

frankfjf said:
A 68 kg crate is dragged across a floor by pulling on a rope attached to the crate and inclined 24° above the horizontal. (a) If the coefficient of static friction is 0.47, what minimum force magnitude is required from the rope to start the crate moving? (b) If the coefficient of kinetic friction = 0.29, what is the magnitude of the initial acceleration (m/s^2) of the crate?

Well.. as assyrian_77 suggested u do indeed need to know the force of friction acting against the pull on the rope. But u must remember that this force is related to the normal force of the box on the ground. And the normal force will be lowered because your actually pulling UP on the box a little...

Once u have set up the correct resolving equations it should just be a matter of Cranking the Handle.

Good luck

Okay, I've got part a resolved but am confused as to how part b works.

For part a, I approached it like this:

After drawing a free body diagram, identifying the 4 forces involved and their relation to the object being acted upon, and seeing that an angle is involved, I know that I need to resolve it into components.

Therefore,

x component: Tcos(24°) - f = 0
y component: N + Tsin(24°) - mg = 0

The two equations I get from this are:

f = Tcos(24°)
N = mg - Tsin(24°)

In order for the crate to move, the friction force has to be greater than the normal force multiplied by the static coefficient, so...

Tcos(24°) = 0.47 * (mg - Tsin(24°))

From all that I can get the equation I need for the tension, which, after some algebraic manipulation, yields:

T = (mg * static coefficient) / (cos(24°) + sin(24°) * static coefficient)

Then plugging in the values...

T = 283.52.

However I'm uncertain as to how to proceed for part b.

frankfjf said:
Okay, I've got part a resolved but am confused as to how part b works.

For part a, I approached it like this:

After drawing a free body diagram, identifying the 4 forces involved and their relation to the object being acted upon, and seeing that an angle is involved, I know that I need to resolve it into components.

Therefore,

x component: Tcos(24°) - f = 0
y component: N + Tsin(24°) - mg = 0

The two equations I get from this are:

f = Tcos(24°)
N = mg - Tsin(24°)

In order for the crate to move, the friction force has to be greater than the normal force multiplied by the static coefficient, so...

Tcos(24°) = 0.47 * (mg - Tsin(24°))

From all that I can get the equation I need for the tension, which, after some algebraic manipulation, yields:

T = (mg * static coefficient) / (cos(24°) + sin(24°) * static coefficient)

Then plugging in the values...

T = 283.52.

However I'm uncertain as to how to proceed for part b.

Go back to the x equation and set [itex] f = \mu_k N [/itex] and set the whole x equation equal to [itex] m a_x [/itex]. T is the same as what you just found. also, the normal force will be the same as in part (a) because nothing has changed for the equation along y. So, from part a you know T and N. Just plug in the x equation to find [itex] a_x [/itex].

Ok, now you have T. What other force can you calculate? The kinetic friction is given by the same expression I stated above. Is the friction force the same as earlier? And using Newtons 2nd law... Those hints should do it. :smile:

In part a, the forces produced equilibrium. In part b, once movement has begun, the static friction is replaced by the lower kinetic friction: Now the forces are no longer in equilibrium. Find the net force and then the acceleration.

Okay, the concepts are starting to click into place for me, but I'm stuck on the reason for a certain thing present in the solution for part b shown in my book. Basically, I have the two (X and Y) component equations figured out for part b, but my Y component is off.

I have it set to Tsin(theta) + Fn - mg = ma.

However, the book's solution sets the ma to 0.

But why is the y equation set to 0 still?

What direction does the friction act? Why would changing the friction (from static to kinetic) affect forces in the y-direction?

There is no acceleration in the y-direction (up). The crate is dragged along the floor, never lifted.

That's a good point. I suppose that was my main problem when approaching Newton's 2nd Law for the first time. (Nervousness about a future exam didn't help either, but besides that..) I wouldn't realize what was happening or how to represent it and as such would be stumped on a problem. But little by little I've been noticing that Physics problems, at least at this level, are usually just needing a slight adjustment or consideration of an overlooked detail when I get them incorrect.

1. What is friction and how does it affect force problems?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It can make it more difficult to move an object or change its direction, thus affecting force problems by requiring additional force to overcome friction.

2. How do I calculate the frictional force in a force problem?

The frictional force can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction (μ) by the normal force (N) exerted on the object. The normal force is equal to the weight of the object in most cases.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction in a force problem?

The amount of friction depends on the type of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces. The coefficient of friction also varies depending on these factors.

4. How can I reduce the effects of friction in a force problem?

To reduce the effects of friction, you can use lubricants to make the surfaces smoother, or decrease the weight or force pressing the surfaces together. In some cases, changing the type of surfaces in contact may also help reduce friction.

5. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction in force problems?

Static friction is the force that prevents two surfaces from sliding against each other when they are not in motion. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, is the force that opposes the motion between two surfaces that are already in motion. In force problems, static friction is typically greater than kinetic friction.