Input/Output voltage relationship for alternator

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to determine the output voltage on the stator coils of their alternator in relation to the excitation voltage in the rotor coils. They have access to data such as windings per pole, resistance of coil, and rpm. They are considering calculating the strength of the magnetic field in the rotor and how many times it passes through the poles on the stator at various rpm's. They are looking for a reasonably accurate approximation and are aware of the concept of back EMF in motors and are unsure of how it applies to generators.
Adder_Noir
Hello again,

I'm here with a request for some advice. Hopefully I won't need as much this time as it's something I'm a bit more clued up on :rolleyes:

I'm trying to work out what output voltage will occur on the stator coils of my alternator in relation to the excitation voltage in the rotor coils.

I can obtain data such as windings per pole, resistance of coil, rpm and others because I have direct access to it.

Before I go steaming off down what would surely turn-out to be the long way round does anyone have an idea for a good acceptably accurate solution?

I was thinking of working out the strength of the magnetic field in the rotor for given excitation voltages and working out how many times it passed through the poles on the stator for various rpm's. Would this be a good way to start?

Bear in mind I'm only looking for a reasonably accurate approximation, not something ultra accurate :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Back EMF seems like it would be a consideration.
Certainly a factor in motors.
Don't know how it applies to generators.

I suppose given that both rotor and stator coils are basically large inductors this would indeed be an issue. Thanks for pointing it out :wink:

1. What is the purpose of an alternator in a vehicle?

The alternator is responsible for converting mechanical energy into electrical energy, providing power to the vehicle's electrical system and charging the battery.

2. How does the input voltage affect the alternator's performance?

The input voltage, typically provided by the vehicle's battery, determines the speed at which the alternator rotates. The higher the input voltage, the faster the alternator rotates and the more electrical energy it produces.

3. What is the relationship between input voltage and output voltage for an alternator?

The output voltage of an alternator is typically slightly higher than the input voltage. This is due to the internal voltage regulator that increases the output voltage to ensure proper charging of the battery.

4. How does the output voltage of an alternator affect the vehicle's electrical system?

The output voltage of an alternator directly affects the performance of the vehicle's electrical system. If the output voltage is too low, the battery may not charge properly and the electrical components may not function correctly. If the output voltage is too high, it can cause damage to the electrical system.

5. What factors can impact the input/output voltage relationship for an alternator?

The input/output voltage relationship for an alternator can be impacted by factors such as the condition of the alternator itself, the condition of the battery, and the load on the electrical system. The alternator's output may also be affected by the engine's speed and temperature.