Proving that Any Number Ending in 5 Squared Equals 25

• Thread starter ruud
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that any number that ends in five when squared equals 25. The participants suggest using the property that any positive number that ends in 5 when squared will end in 25, and explain how this can be shown through basic algebra. Despite some initial confusion and attempts to solve the problem, the participants conclude that the original poster should work on the answer themselves rather than being spoonfed the solution.
ruud
This should be an easy question but I'm having problems with it. Prove that any number that ends in five when squared equals 25. So if n is the number then

(n/5)^2 = (n^2)/25
Although if you expand the left side then this statement is redudant. Can someone help me with this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think you ought to reread the question - 15*15 ends in a five, do you mean if x is divisibly by 5, then x^2 is divisible by 25?

well, 5|x implies x=5y some y, so x^2=25y^2, so 25 divides x^2 is a formal statement of it.

any positive number that ends in 5 when squared ends in 25

eg
5^2 = 25
15^2 = 225
25^2 = 625

Just scrap what I started with I don't think it helps at all, how could I prove this question?

oh, ok

ends in 5 is the same as is equal to 10r+5 for some r

safely we can leave the rest to you

I wouldn't say safely could you please expand on that? every time a number that ends with 5 is squared the resulting term ends in 25

square 10r+5 you get a 25 and something that is a multiple of 100.

matt grime was making the perhaps unwarrented assumption that a person asking such a question could do basic algebra.

(10r+ 5)2= 100r2+ 2(10r)(5)+ 25
= 100r2+ 100r+ 25
= 100(r2+r)+ 25

Because r2+r is multiplied by 100, 100(r2+r) will have last two digits 00. Adding 25 to that, the last two digits must be 25.

I was hoping that given the start the questioner would work on the answer some more and get the solution themselves. Don't know about you, Halls (if I can be familiar ;-)) but a lot of the queries appear to me to be from homework sheets; is it better to prompt the right answer or spoonfeed it verbatim?

Ya this is the property which is applied in vedic maths

Actually, Matt, I was being sarcastic. You had given very good answers and the orginally poster repeatedly asked for more.

1. How do you prove that any number ending in 5 squared equals 25?

To prove this, we simply have to understand the concept of squaring a number. When we square a number, we are essentially multiplying it by itself. So, when we square a number ending in 5, we are essentially multiplying it by itself and adding one more 5 at the end. This results in the number always ending in 25.

2. Can you provide an example to illustrate this concept?

Sure, let's take the number 15. When we square it, we get 15 x 15 = 225. Similarly, if we take the number 25 and square it, we get 25 x 25 = 625. In both cases, the numbers end in 25.

3. Does this work for all numbers ending in 5?

Yes, this concept works for all numbers ending in 5. This is because the pattern of squaring a number ending in 5 always results in the number ending in 25.

4. How does this concept apply to larger numbers ending in 5?

The concept of squaring a number ending in 5 also applies to larger numbers. For example, if we take the number 435, when we square it, we get 435 x 435 = 189225. We can see that the number still ends in 25.

5. Is there a mathematical proof for this concept?

Yes, there is a mathematical proof for this concept. It involves using algebraic equations to show that any number ending in 5 squared will always result in a number ending in 25. This proof is based on the fundamental concept of squaring a number and can be easily demonstrated using algebraic manipulations and equations.