Lagrange equations with constraints

In summary, the Lagrange equations are used to find the extremal value of a functional that can be applied to differentiable manifolds. When a constraint is given, the Lagrange equations are modified to include the constraint in the form of a necessary property of the action principle. This can be seen in the example of a particle in a force field, where the particle is free and can be anywhere in space, and in the example of a particle on a rod, where the particle must satisfy a specific equation and therefore must lie on a sphere. The procedure for finding the extremal of the functional in these cases is similar, but a proof is required to explain why this procedure works.
r4nd0m
When we seek the extreaml value of the functional [tex]\Phi(\gamma) = \int_{t_0}^{t_1} L(x(t),\dot{x}(t),t)dt[/tex] where x can be taken from the entire E^n then we come to the well-known Lagrange equations.

Now when we are given a constraint, that [tex]x \in M[/tex], where M is a differentiable manifold and when the coordinates on this manifold are [tex]q_i[/tex], then the Lagrange equations look "almost" the same, only the coordinate x is "replaced" by q:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial q} = 0[/tex]

So now to the question:
I understand how we obtain the Lagrange equations without constraints, but I can't find any proof of the equations with constraints. How is this done? Is the proof difficult (assuming only some basic knowledge of differential geometry).

Physics news on Phys.org
try lagrange multiplier? What kind of constraint are you given?

r4nd0m said:
Now when we are given a constraint, that [tex]x \in M[/tex], where M is a differentiable manifold and when the coordinates on this manifold are [tex]q_i[/tex]

Your question is meaningless. The action principle is well posed if and only if [itex]x\in\mathcal{M}[/itex]. What you call a "constraint" is not actually a constraint at all but simply a statement of a necessary property of the action principle.

In case you're interested, constraints arise in the Lagrangian formulation of the action principle if and only if the Lagrangian is singular. This is an extremely well understood subject and should be familiar to anyone who has, for example, taken an undergraduate course in analytical mechanics.

Now I'm a bit confused.
What I meant is:
When you for example take a particle in some force field and the particle is free i.e. its configuration space is the entire E^3, so it can be theoretically anywhere in the space, then using the principle of least action you're looking for the extremal of the functional [tex]\Phi(\gamma) = \int_{t_0}^{t_1} L(x(t),\dot{x}(t),t)dt[/tex], where L is a function defined on E^3 and in this case L = T - U.
Now it can be easily shown, that if a curve is an extremal of the functional it must satisfy the equation [tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial x} = 0[/tex]

But now:
if we take a particle which is not free, for example it's on a rod and it must satisfy the equation [tex]x_1^2 + x_2^2 + x_3^2 = R^2[/tex]
and now we're looking again on the extremal of the functional [tex]\Phi(\gamma) = \int_{t_0}^{t_1} L(x(t),\dot{x}(t),t)dt[/tex], but in this case x isn't from the entire E^3 - it must lie on the sphere.
Now I've been taught that the procedure here is "almost" the same as in the former example - we take new coordinates - for example spherical, we write the Lagrangian in the new coordinates and then solve the Lagrange equations. The solution will be the extremal of the functional [tex]\Phi(\gamma)[/tex].
But my question is why can we proceed like this? I miss some kind of proof of this procedure.

1. What are Lagrange equations with constraints?

Lagrange equations with constraints are a set of equations used in classical mechanics to describe the motion of a system under certain constraints. They are named after mathematician Joseph-Louis Lagrange, who developed them as a generalization of Newton's laws of motion.

2. How are Lagrange equations with constraints derived?

Lagrange equations with constraints are derived by using the principle of virtual work, which states that the total work done by the forces acting on a system is equal to zero for any virtual displacement of the system. By applying this principle to a system with constraints, the equations of motion can be derived.

3. What is the purpose of using Lagrange equations with constraints?

The purpose of using Lagrange equations with constraints is to simplify the problem of solving equations of motion for a system with constraints. It allows for the use of generalized coordinates, which can reduce the number of variables needed to describe the system and make the equations easier to solve.

4. How are constraints incorporated into Lagrange equations?

Constraints are incorporated into Lagrange equations by adding them as additional terms in the equations. These terms account for the effects of the constraints on the motion of the system and ensure that the equations of motion satisfy the constraints.

5. What types of constraints can be handled by Lagrange equations?

Lagrange equations with constraints can handle a variety of constraints, including holonomic constraints (which depend only on the position coordinates of the system) and non-holonomic constraints (which also depend on the velocity coordinates of the system). They can also handle both linear and non-linear constraints.