Simple Power in a Circuit Problem

• Engineering
  • Thread starter ravenprp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit Power
In summary: So the 2Amps is correct because it satisfies the passive sign convention rule.In summary, the conversation discusses calculating I_0 in a network using the equations P = VI and the Passive Sign Convention Rule. The attempt at a solution involves calculating the power absorbed/supplied by each element in the network and using KCL to find the correct value for I_0. The final answer of 2A satisfies the passive sign convention rule, indicating that the power supplied is equal to the power absorbed in the loop.
ravenprp

Homework Statement

Determine I_0 in the network.

Homework Equations

P = VI
Passive Sign Convention Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I did. I calculated the power absorbed/supplied by the bottom left network.

Element 3: P = VI = (6V)(I_0 A) = 6I_0 W
Element 5: P = VI = (6V)(4A) = 24 W
Element 6: P = VI = (8V)(6A) = 48 W
V-Dependent Source: P = VI = (4 * 2 A)(-6A) = -48 W (I did this because of the passive sign convention.

6I_0 + 24 + 48 - 48 = 0
I_0 = (-24) / 6
I_0 = -4 A

It says something is wrong, but I'm not sure why. I'm 99% sure I followed the rules for PSC. I've attached an image of the circuit. I've done it only using this loop, but also, if you check down below, I've done it for every element (I get differing answers).

(Circuit picture taken from WileyPLUS homework, please do not redistribute/copy).

-------

If I had to calculate each element, in the WHOLE entire network, would this work be correct:

E1: 64W
E2: 60W
E3: I_0 * 6 W
Independent 24V Source: -192W
E4: 32W
E5: 24W
E6: 48W
Dependent 4I_x V Source: -48W

so... (Im going to leave out the W unit in the equation for now, so it doesn't confuse anyone)

64 + 60 + 6I_0 + (-192) + 32 + 24 + 48 - 48 = 0

6I_0 + (-12) = 0
6I_0 = 12

I_0 = 2A

Attachments

• sss.jpg
    sss.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well using KCL at that node, I'd say the 2nd answer is right.

What does this tell you about the power around a loop (with a circuit with more than one loop)?

Power Supplied = Power Absorbed

So 2Amps would be correct, then right?

Last edited:
Look at this example I made:

powerexample.jpg

Ah, I see. Makes sense.

What is a simple power in a circuit problem?

A simple power in a circuit problem involves analyzing a basic electrical circuit to determine how power is distributed and used within the system. It typically includes calculating the voltage, current, and resistance at various points in the circuit.

What are the basic components of a circuit?

The basic components of a circuit include a power source (such as a battery or power supply), conductors (such as wires), and loads (such as light bulbs or motors). These components work together to allow electricity to flow through the circuit.

How do you calculate power in a circuit?

Power in a circuit can be calculated using the equation P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes. This equation can also be rearranged to solve for voltage or current, depending on what information is given.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, so the current is the same at every point in the circuit. In a parallel circuit, components are connected in multiple branches, so the current is divided between them. Additionally, in a series circuit, the total resistance is the sum of the individual resistances, while in a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance.

How does the use of different materials affect the flow of electricity in a circuit?

The flow of electricity in a circuit can be affected by the type of material used for the conductors. Materials with higher conductivity, such as copper, allow electricity to flow more easily compared to materials with lower conductivity, such as rubber. This can impact the overall resistance and efficiency of the circuit.