Can Subliminal Messages Help Memorization?

• Medical
  • Thread starter snowJT
  • Start date
In summary, using recordings to help you memorize words can be helpful, but you need to be careful not to sleep with the television on or you might have weird dreams.
snowJT
Curious question, but If you listened to recordings of words you have to memorize, would It help if you fell asleep with headphones on. Then when you wake up, it can possibly be a little easier to memorize those things you have to? Would it be beneficial, can it possibly help store the information better when you read it the next day?

Biology news on Phys.org
Yes it probably would help...

but could you honestly put up with listening to recording of words when your trying to get to sleep?

i certainly couldn't...

I know people who actually can only sleep with music playing with headphones on

I don't know of any reputable studies as to whether this works or not, although the idea has been around for a long time. My own anectdotal experience of falling asleep with the TV on says it wouldn't help (I might have weird dreams incorporating things being said on the TV, but I don't recall anything of what was on the TV during the time I was sleeping when I wake up).

I just have many words and definitions I need to memorize... (about a thousand) and I'm trying to figure out a good way to do it

Moonbear said:
I don't know of any reputable studies as to whether this works or not, although the idea has been around for a long time. My own anectdotal experience of falling asleep with the TV on says it wouldn't help (I might have weird dreams incorporating things being said on the TV, but I don't recall anything of what was on the TV during the time I was sleeping when I wake up).

I think you're experience was slightly different to the scenario proposed by snowJT. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was talking about a repeating recording of the things he/she needs to memorize, whereas in your scenario (with the television), the recordings do not repeat.

I'm no expert, but I would tend to think that the mind is more receptive to audio messages than video ones when asleep, because the ears do not close.:smile:

you are correct

Charlie Brown used to put his textbook under his pillow in the hopes that it would leak into his head.

snowJT said:
I just have many words and definitions I need to memorize... (about a thousand) and I'm trying to figure out a good way to do it

Use them as frequently as you can. You need to use active learning, not passive learning for that sort of a task. Also, do it in bite size pieces. Work on 5 or 10 terms at a time, and review them during your "down" time...like when walking somewhere. Don't just read them, make yourself try to recall without reading. Teaming up with someone else to quiz each other can also work. It helps ensure you don't "cheat" and read the definitions before you think of them on your own, and also gives you a chance to get prompted without having to look at the entire answer if you forget one.

1. How do subliminal messages work?

Subliminal messages are stimuli that are presented below the threshold of conscious awareness. They are designed to bypass our conscious mind and directly influence our subconscious. This can be done through various techniques such as embedding the messages in audio recordings or flashing them quickly on a screen.

2. Can subliminal messages really help with memorization?

While there is limited scientific evidence to support the effectiveness of subliminal messages for improving memory, some studies have shown that they can have a small positive effect. However, the results are not consistent and more research is needed to fully understand their impact on memory.

3. What types of subliminal messages are most effective for memorization?

There is no one specific type of subliminal message that has been proven to be most effective for memorization. It is believed that messages that are related to the task at hand and are repeated frequently may have a greater impact on memory. Additionally, messages that are positive and motivating may also be more effective.

4. Are there any potential risks or side effects of using subliminal messages for memorization?

While subliminal messages are generally considered safe, some people may experience discomfort or anxiety if they are not aware that they are being exposed to these messages. Additionally, there is a concern that subliminal messages may be used to manipulate or control people, but there is no strong evidence to support this.

5. How can I incorporate subliminal messages into my study routine for better memorization?

If you are interested in using subliminal messages to aid in memorization, it is important to first consult with a professional and do thorough research. Some common methods include listening to audio recordings with embedded messages while studying or using flashcards with subliminal messages embedded in the images. It is also important to use subliminal messages in addition to other proven study techniques for the best results.