Editing Posts: A Tutorial and Questions

• Thread starter Pyrrhus
  • Start date
In summary, the time you have to edit a post is 24 hours after you post. If you need to have edits done after the 24 hour mark, you can ask a mentor to do the edit.
Pyrrhus
Homework Helper
Hello PF, I've never thought much about the importance of editing threads, but as i started a tutorial, it has become important to me. I wonder, why can't we keep editing our posts? and why is the time for editing so low? and what is the exact figure of such time?

Cyclovenom.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I can't answer the why questions, but you can edit a post for 24 hours after you post.

The reason you can only edit a post within 24 hours is to prevent people from going back and changing the content of their posts and possibly causing confusion in the thread if the edits change the meaning.

If you need to have edits done after 24 hours you can ask a mentor to do the edit. That way, if the edit significantly changes the direction of the thread, we can decide how best to handle it, such as split off subsequent posts into a new thread.

Evo said:
The reason you can only edit a post within 24 hours is to prevent people from going back and changing the content of their posts and possibly causing confusion in the thread if the edits change the meaning.

If you need to have edits done after 24 hours you can ask a mentor to do the edit. That way, if the edit significantly changes the direction of the thread, we can decide how best to handle it, such as split off subsequent posts into a new thread.

Thanks, i guess i'll require your services in the near future then :shy: . :cool:

One could also write the tutorial in your PF-blog (formerly, Journal), which you can freely edit.

Unfortunately, it doesn't support [tex]\LaTeX[/tex] (which renders it of limited use to me). Such a feature would have been nice, especially since the [tex]\LaTeX[/tex] preview feature was broken. In addition, the blog would have been a good place to compose over time multiple future [[tex]\LaTeX[/tex] enhanced] posts.

My suggestion, if you're working on a tutorial and your editing time expires, is to quote your post, do all your editing in a new post (in the same thread), and then contact a mentor (or report the post) to replace the original with the edited version. That way, we can just copy your entire post and not lose something in the process. And, the updated version will be available immediately in the thread without having to wait for one of us to have time to assist with the editing.

1. What is the purpose of editing posts?

The purpose of editing posts is to make changes or corrections to the content of a written or visual piece before publishing it. This ensures that the post is accurate, clear, and free of errors for the intended audience.

2. What are some common mistakes to look for when editing posts?

Common mistakes to look for when editing posts include spelling and grammar errors, consistency in formatting and style, and factual inaccuracies. It is also important to check for clarity and flow of the content.

3. How do you effectively edit a post?

To effectively edit a post, it is important to take a systematic approach. Start by reading the post for overall understanding and note any major changes needed. Then, go through the post line by line to check for spelling, grammar, and other errors. Finally, review the post for clarity, consistency, and flow.

4. What is the difference between editing and proofreading?

Editing and proofreading are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two distinct processes. Editing involves making changes to the content of a post, while proofreading focuses on correcting errors in spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

5. Should I edit my own posts or hire a professional editor?

It is always recommended to have someone else, preferably a professional editor, review and edit your posts. This is because it is difficult to edit your own work objectively, and a fresh pair of eyes can catch mistakes that you may have missed. However, if hiring a professional editor is not an option, it is still important to thoroughly edit your own posts before publishing them.