Help with Assignment Problems: Finding Derivatives

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the points on a graph where tangent lines are horizontal, finding the slope of a tangent line at a given point, and writing the equation of a tangent line. It also discusses finding the derivative of various functions and the growth rate of a population. The conversation provides solutions to these problems and explains the steps to find them.
physicszman
Hi, these are just a few problems from my assignment I am having a hard time with. Any help is appreciated.

1) consider function f(x) = 1/3X^3 - 1/2^2 - 6x + 4

a) find the points on the graph at which the tangent lines are horizontal.
b) find the slope of the line tangent to the curve at x = 3
f) write an equation of this tangent line

2) After t years the population P is given by P(t) = 2000t^2 + 10000t

what is the growth rate at t = 10?

Find the derivative: (I put my answers, please doublecheck, thanks)

a) f(x) = 1/2x^1/2 + 2/3x^1/4 - x^1/5
f'(x) = 1/4x^-1/2 + 1/6x^-3/4 - 1/5x^-4/5

b) y = 5x^1/3
y'= 5/3x^-2/3

c) g(x) = x^1/3 - x^1/3
g'(x) = 1/3x^-2/3 - 1/3x^-2/3

d) y = x^-3/4 - 3x^2/3
y'= -3/4x^-7/4 - 2x^-1/3

e) h(x) = x/2 + 2/x
h'(x) = ?

f) y = (3x^2 - 5x +7)/4
y'= ?

g)f(x) = -1/3x^3 + 4x^2 - 5x + 6
f'(x)= -x^2 + 8x - 5

h) g(x) = (x^3 + x^5)/(x^2)
g'(x) = ?

Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Did you try finding the derivative of this (rather simple) function?
a) A horizontal line is of the form [y = k], i.e its slope is zero. And since the derivative of a function gives you the slope of the tangent to the function, when the derivative is zero the tangent line is horizontal.
b) To find the slope of the tangent line at x = 3, simply find the function's derivative and substitute x for 3. The number you get is the tangent line's slope at that point.
f) What do you need to write the equation of a line? In this case, its slope (m), and a point on it ([tex]x_1, y_1[/tex]). You already have the slope, you found it in b). The only thing you are missing is a point on the line, and that you can find easily because you know the line is tangent to the function at x = 3. So find f(x = 3) and you will have the ([tex]x_1, y_1[/tex]) coordinates of a point on the line. And then it's just [tex]y = m(x - x_1) + y_1[/tex].

2) What is the growth rate? It is the difference in the population in a given time period. What is the slope of a line? It is the difference in Y in a given delta X. But since P(t) is a parabola, the slope changes and is not constant. So to find the slope, i.e the growth rate, after 10 years, find the derivative of P(t) and substitute t for 10.

a), b), c), d) and g) all look correct.

e) [tex]\frac{2}{x}[/tex] can also be written as [tex]2x^{-1}[/tex]. And you already know how to find the derivative that.

f) The derivative of [tex]\frac{f(x)}{k}[/tex], where k is a constant that doesn't depend on x, is the same as the derivative of [tex]\frac{1}{k}f(x)[/tex] which is [tex]\frac{1}{k}f'(x)[/tex].

h) The derivative of [tex]\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/tex] is [tex]\frac{f'(x)g(x) - f(x)g'(x)}{g(x)^2}[/tex]. In words, it is the derivative of f(x) times g(x) (itself, not its derivative) minus the derivative of g(x) times f(x) divided by g(x) to the power of two. Try solving it, the answer should be:
[tex]g'(x) = 3x^2 + 1[/tex]

1. What is a derivative and why is it important?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and make predictions about its future values. Derivatives are also used in many real-world applications, such as physics, economics, and engineering.

2. How do I find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to find the derivative of a function based on its algebraic form. You can also use online tools or software to find derivatives quickly and accurately.

3. What is the difference between a derivative and an antiderivative?

A derivative represents the rate of change of a function, while an antiderivative represents the original function before it was differentiated. In other words, an antiderivative is the inverse operation of differentiation. While derivatives are used to analyze the behavior of a function, antiderivatives are used to find the total change or area under a curve.

4. What are some common mistakes when finding derivatives?

Some common mistakes when finding derivatives include using incorrect differentiation rules, neglecting to simplify the final answer, and forgetting to include the constant of integration when finding an antiderivative. It is also important to pay attention to the domain of the function and avoid dividing by zero when using the quotient rule.

5. How can I check if my derivative is correct?

You can check your derivative by using the inverse operation of differentiation, which is integration. Simply take the derivative of your answer and see if it matches the original function. You can also use graphing tools to compare the graph of the derivative to the original function and see if they have the same characteristics, such as critical points and concavity.