Formulation of flow generated by the rotating cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses the frictional torque on a high speed spindle and how to model the flow generated by its rotation. The use of a free vortex approach is mentioned and there is a question about its validity for high rotation speeds. The calculation of shear stress and the need for a derivative is also brought up. The speaker asks for alternative formulations and resources for this problem.
eaglemre
Hi All;

I try to find the frictional torque on a high speed spindle. There is no flow past the cylinder, the flow is generated due the rotation of the cylinder.
I read book of Munson and it is written there that this kind of flow can be modeled by a free votex approach.
Is free vortex formulation where Vtheta is proportional to 1/r valid for high rotation speeds or do I need another model?
To calculate the shear stress on the surface of the cylinder the derivative of the Vteta is required and in this case it becomes negative.Does this cause any problem?
Are there any other simple formulation for these kind of problem?
I will be glad for your answers.I would be great if you can give some link or suggest a book for this very simple formulation.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Without a diagram, it is virtually impossible to visualize what is being described here.

What is the formulation of flow generated by the rotating cylinder?

The formulation of flow generated by the rotating cylinder is a mathematical model that describes the motion of fluid particles around a cylinder that is rotating in a fluid medium.

What are the factors that influence the flow generated by a rotating cylinder?

The flow generated by a rotating cylinder is influenced by factors such as the fluid properties (density and viscosity), the rotational speed of the cylinder, and the size and shape of the cylinder.

What is the significance of studying the formulation of flow generated by a rotating cylinder?

Studying the formulation of flow generated by a rotating cylinder is important in understanding the behavior of fluids in various engineering applications, such as in turbines, pumps, and propellers. It also has applications in environmental fluid dynamics, such as in the study of ocean currents.

What are the different types of flow patterns that can be observed around a rotating cylinder?

Depending on the flow conditions, various flow patterns can be observed around a rotating cylinder, such as laminar flow, turbulent flow, and vortex shedding. These patterns can have significant effects on the drag force and lift force experienced by the cylinder.

How can the formulation of flow generated by a rotating cylinder be used in practical applications?

The formulation of flow generated by a rotating cylinder can be used in various engineering design processes, such as in optimizing the performance of turbines and propellers. It can also be used in predicting the flow patterns and forces experienced by structures in fluid environments, such as offshore structures and aircraft wings.