I have something that doesn't work out for me

• Thread starter jacobrhcp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: in summary, the function f'(x) is equal to x^2 for all x>0, but for some values of x, the function 1/2 x^2 is also applicable.
jacobrhcp
I'm going to use this theorem of differential analysis: if g(x) is differentiable between a and b, then there is a c for which [tex]\frac{g(b)-g(a)}{b-a}[/tex]=g'(c)

Let f be differentiable twice, and let f(0)=f'(0)=0 and let f''(x)[tex]\geq[/tex]1 for all x>0

choose g(x) as f'(x), a = 0, b = x
then there is a c so that:
[tex]\frac{g(b)-g(a)}{b-a}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{f'(x)}{x}[/tex]=f''(c)[tex]\geq[/tex]1 (f''(x) was already bigger then 1)

so f'(x) [tex]\geq[/tex] x (for all x > 0)

now I am going to use the theorem again, saying g(x)=f(x), a = 0, b = x

[tex]\frac{g(b)-g(a)}{b-a}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{f(x)}{x}[/tex]=f'(c)[tex]\geq[/tex]x

so f(x) [tex]\geq[/tex] x^2 (for all x>0)

but this isn't true. The function 1/2 x^2 also applies for all those things I wanted the function to be, but is smaller than x^2. Anyone knows what I've been doing wrong? This was an old exam exercise, and it's been troubling me since before the holidays.

Ps. this is the first time I did everything with tech on this site, and it's horrible unclear to me if I entered it allright. Hope it worked. If it doesn't, I hope I'll have enough time to edit a bit before someone reads it ^_^

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jacobrhcp said:
I'm going to use this theorem of differential analysis: if g(x) is differentiable between a and b, then there is a c for which [tex]\frac{g(b)-g(a)}{b-a}[/tex]=g'(c)

Let f be differentiable twice, and let f(0)=f'(0)=0 and let f''(x)[tex]\geq[/tex]1 for all x>0

choose g(x) as f'(x), a = 0, b = x
[tex]\frac{g(b)-g(a)}{b-a}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{f'(x)}{x}[/tex]=f''(c)[tex]\geq[/tex]1 (f''(x) was already bigger then 1)

so f'(x) [tex]\geq[/tex] x (for all x > 0)

now I am going to use the theorem again, saying g(x)=f(x), a = 0, b = x

[tex]\frac{g(b)-g(a)}{b-a}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{f(x)}{x}[/tex]=f'(c)[tex]\geq[/tex]x
Here's your error. You proved above that [itex]f'(x)\ge x[/itex]. That does NOT give [itex]f'(c)\ge x[/itex], only [itex]f'(c)\ge c[/itex].

so f(x) [tex]\geq[/tex] x^2 (for all x>0)

but this isn't true. The function 1/2 x^2 also applies for all those things I wanted the function to be, but is smaller than x^2. Anyone knows what I've been doing wrong? This was an old exam exercise, and it's been troubling me since before the holidays.

Ps. this is the first time I did everything with tech on this site, and it's horrible unclear to me if I entered it allright. Hope it worked. If it doesn't, I hope I'll have enough time to edit a bit before someone reads it ^_^

ah of course. that's great. thanks a lot.

1. What could be causing my experiment to not work out?

There could be multiple factors contributing to your experiment not working out. It could be an error in your methodology, a problem with your materials or equipment, or even external factors such as temperature or humidity.

2. How can I troubleshoot my experiment?

Start by reviewing your methodology and materials to see if there are any obvious errors. You can also consult with colleagues or refer to scientific literature for guidance. If all else fails, consider seeking help from a mentor or a more experienced scientist.

3. What should I do if my results are not consistent?

Inconsistent results could indicate a flaw in your methodology or equipment, or it could be due to natural variations in the system you are studying. Try repeating the experiment multiple times and carefully controlling for any variables that could affect the results.

4. How can I improve the reliability of my experiment?

To improve the reliability of your experiment, make sure to carefully control for all variables, use high-quality materials and equipment, and follow a standardized methodology. It may also be helpful to have a colleague replicate your experiment to confirm your results.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when conducting an experiment?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not properly controlling for variables, using outdated or low-quality materials, and not following a standardized methodology. It is also important to carefully document all steps and results to ensure accuracy and reproducibility.