Fomite and infectious disease transmission

In summary, Four out of five of all illnesses are spread by touch, Germs found in public can cause debilitating and even deadly illnesses, Washing our hands for 15 seconds can break the path of germ transmission into the body, and the average toddler will be sick 8 times per year from germs they've acquired.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
I am surprised that this term was not found in this or the biology forums when I searched for it. I'd never heard of it until my sister, a pediatrician mentioned it in conjuction with a discussion about MRSA and infectious diseases in genera.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fomite
A fomite is any inanimate object or substance capable of carrying infectious organisms (such as germs or parasites) and hence transferring them from one individual to another. A fomite can be anything such as a cloth or mop heads so when cleaning this is important to remember that this could aid when spreading pathogenic organisms.

The term is well known to those involved in infectious diseases. One will have to search for particular contexts - http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/index.htm

Meanwhile, I found this article:

Are the following statements facts or myths?

1. Four out of five of all illnesses are spread by touch.

2. Germs found in public can cause debilitating and even deadly illnesses.

3. A person becomes healthier by building up their immune system through exposure to germs.

4.The #1 thing we can do to break the path of germ transmission into the body is wash our hands for 15 seconds.

5. University studies have shown that on average there are more germs per square inch found on restaurant tables than on ATM buttons, bathroom changing tables, or elevator buttons.

6. Whether someone becomes ill depends on the type of germs, number of germ cells acquired, and the person’s immune system strength.

7.The average toddler will be sick 8 times per year from germs they’ve acquired.

Answers here - http://www.classy-kid.com/germ.html

I plan on verifying this information with my sister.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Personally, I would have to say their answer for #3 is wrong.
The whole concept of vaccination is based on the concept that the immune system does learn.

Astronuc said:
I am surprised that this term was not found in this or the biology forums when I searched for it. I'd never heard of it until my sister, a pediatrician mentioned it in conjuction with a discussion about MRSA and infectious diseases in genera.

Anyone taking a microbiology class will learn that term. Though, it's really just a fancy word with a very general meaning, so not much need to use it. The classic first microbiology lab focuses on fomites (as a way of demonstrating why students need to be extremely careful to avoid contamination of cultures), which involves swabbing a variety of surfaces, such as table tops, bottoms of shoes, door knobs, and table tops after being treated with disinfectants, and growing cultures of the bacteria picked up by those swabs to see how "dirty" those surfaces really are.

NoTime said:
Personally, I would have to say their answer for #3 is wrong.
The whole concept of vaccination is based on the concept that the immune system does learn.

It's really important, in this context, to distinguish between bacteria and viruses. Immunizations protect against viral infections, not bacterial infections. Exposure to viruses can confer long-term immunity, but exposure to bacteria may not.

Moonbear said:
It's really important, in this context, to distinguish between bacteria and viruses. Immunizations protect against viral infections, not bacterial infections. Exposure to viruses can confer long-term immunity, but exposure to bacteria may not.
I was of the impression that tetanus and pneumococcus were bacteria.
The tetanus vaccine is old while the one for ear infection is quite new.
But I'll agree that exposure may not result in immunity.

There is also some indication that exposure to bacterial pathenogens modifies the way the immune system responds to subsequent chalenges and that this has potentially significant heath consequences.

What is fomite transmission?

Fomite transmission refers to the spread of infectious diseases through inanimate objects or surfaces that have been contaminated with pathogens. This can occur when a person touches a contaminated surface and then touches their mouth, nose, or eyes, allowing the pathogens to enter their body.

How long can pathogens survive on fomites?

The survival time of pathogens on fomites can vary depending on the type of pathogen and the environmental conditions. Some pathogens can survive for only a few hours, while others can survive for days or even weeks on surfaces.

What are the most common fomites that can transmit infectious diseases?

The most common fomites that can transmit infectious diseases include doorknobs, keyboards, cell phones, countertops, and other frequently touched surfaces. Personal items like towels and clothing can also act as fomites.

How can fomite transmission be prevented?

Fomite transmission can be prevented by regularly cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces, practicing good personal hygiene such as frequent hand washing, and avoiding touching one's face with unwashed hands.

Can all infectious diseases be transmitted through fomites?

No, not all infectious diseases can be transmitted through fomites. Some diseases, such as HIV, can only be transmitted through direct contact with infected bodily fluids. However, many common respiratory and gastrointestinal infections can be spread through fomite transmission.