How Strong is the Electric Field Between Two Plates?

In summary, a uniform electric field is a constant electric field with evenly spaced and parallel electric field lines. It is typically created by placing two parallel charged plates close together and has practical applications in particle accelerators and understanding electric charges and potential energy. The strength of a uniform electric field is measured in volts per meter (V/m) and can be approximated in nature, such as near a point charge.
Kajayacht
1. If the accelerating plates are 1.2cm apart and have a potential difference of 25,000V what is the magnitude of the electric field between them?
2. E=V/D
3. E=25,000V/1.2x10^-2m= 2083333.3 V/M

Physics news on Phys.org
So, what's the problem? It seems to me that you've already solved it.

I didn't know if I got the question right...

You did. I checked it on my calculator.

1. What is a uniform electric field?

A uniform electric field is a type of electric field in which the magnitude and direction of the electric field remains constant at every point within the field. This means that the electric field lines are evenly spaced and parallel to each other.

2. How is a uniform electric field created?

A uniform electric field is typically created by placing two parallel plates, one positively charged and one negatively charged, close together. The electric field lines between the plates are uniformly distributed, resulting in a uniform electric field between the plates.

3. What is the significance of a uniform electric field?

Uniform electric fields are important in many practical applications, such as in particle accelerators, where they are used to accelerate charged particles to high speeds. They also play a critical role in understanding the behavior of electric charges and the concept of electric potential energy.

4. How is the strength of a uniform electric field measured?

The strength of a uniform electric field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). This can be calculated by dividing the electric field strength (measured in newtons per coulomb) by the distance between the two charged plates.

5. Can a uniform electric field exist in nature?

In nature, it is rare to find a truly uniform electric field. However, in some cases, the electric field can be approximated as uniform over a small region. For example, in the vicinity of a point charge, the electric field can be considered uniform at a distance far away from the charge.