Calculating Diffraction Orders for a 513 line/mm Grating

• Thread starter BuBbLeS01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffraction
In summary, by using the equation m = d/t and assuming a small angle, it can be determined that a 513 line/mm diffraction grating illuminated by light of wavelength 567 nm will produce 3 diffraction orders.
BuBbLeS01
# of diffraction orders seen?

Homework Statement

A 513 line/mm diffraction grating is illuminated by light of wavelength 567 nm. How many diffraction orders are seen?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

d*sin theta = mt
t = wavelength

m = d*sin theta/t
I don't have the angle so I just omitted it assuming it would be very small and I did...
m = d/t = 3.4 so 3 diffraction orders

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone know how to do this?

The value of sin has to be at a maximum (ie. 1), so the angle is 90 degrees. What you did looks right. If the angle was very small, then m would also be very small.

Thank you so much! I have a test on Thursday and I am having a hard time understanding light!

1. What is the meaning of "number of diffraction orders seen" in a scientific context?

The "number of diffraction orders seen" refers to the number of bright spots or fringes observed when light passes through a diffraction grating or is reflected by a diffraction grating-like surface. These bright spots or fringes are known as diffraction orders and are a result of the interference of light waves.

2. How can the number of diffraction orders be calculated?

The number of diffraction orders can be calculated using the equation nλ = d sinθ, where n is the order of diffraction, λ is the wavelength of light, d is the spacing between the diffracting elements, and θ is the angle of diffraction.

3. What factors affect the number of diffraction orders seen?

The number of diffraction orders seen is affected by the wavelength of light, the spacing between the diffracting elements, and the angle of diffraction. It can also be affected by the number of diffracting elements in the grating or surface.

4. Why is the number of diffraction orders seen important in scientific research?

The number of diffraction orders seen is important in scientific research because it can provide information about the properties of light and the structure of materials. By analyzing the number and spacing of diffraction orders, researchers can determine the wavelength of light, the spacing between diffracting elements, and other important parameters.

5. Can the number of diffraction orders seen be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, the number of diffraction orders seen can be manipulated or controlled by changing the properties of the diffracting elements, such as their spacing or shape. This can be useful in various applications, such as designing diffraction gratings for specific purposes or creating new optical devices.