Integration of complex functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for integrating a function of a complex variable and the process of proving its validity. The participants also discuss a theorem that allows for the representation of an analytic function in the complex domain as it behaves in the real domain. The conversation ends with a request for further explanation and understanding of this theorem.
saneisjus
I'm doing a bit of studying on calculus of complex functions.
The book I'm reading from is "Mathematical Methods For Physicists", and in the course of reading the chapter on 'functions of a complex variable' I have run across the equation

[tex]\int^{z_{2}}_{z_{1}}[/tex]f(z) dz =[tex]\int^{x_{2},y_{2}}_{x_{1},y{2}}[/tex][u(x,y) + iv(x,y)][dx + idy]

So to really understand this I tried proving it to myself, that it's true.
When you substitute u(x,y) + iv(x,y) for f(x) you do get what's up there. so simplify that and you get

= [tex]\int^{x_{2},y_{2}}_{x_{1},y{2}}[/tex][u(x,y)dx-v(x,y)]+i[tex]\int^{x_{2},y_{2}}_{x_{1},y{2}}[/tex][v(x,y)dy + u(x,y)dy)]

which is great, but when I try to integrate f(z) = z I get two different answers.
directly integrating
[tex]\int[/tex] z dz =
[tex]\frac{z^{2}}{2}[/tex]
substitute in x + iy for z
and you get
[tex]\frac{x^{2}-y^{2}}{2}[/tex] + ixy

integrating using the substituted formula
we get
[tex]\frac{x^{2}-y^{2}}{2}[/tex] + i2xy

I can't for the life of me prove to myself that those two equations (the substituted integral and the direct integral) are equal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture of the path that you are integrating. I bet you are going from (0,0) -> (x,0) -> (x,y) then you should see that on the first leg, the imaginary part of the integral is 0, and on the second leg the imaginary part is xy. I think that you didn't make the connection that the y-coordinate on the first leg was 0, you thought it was y and that's why you had the 2?

We were taught, without name of theorem or proof unfortunately :/, that you can let y=0 and x=z and it kicks out the complex representation for your function. What it essentially is saying is that the way an analytic function behaves in the complex domain is the same as it behaves in the real domain.

I've used it and it works (you get the right answer) but I would love to see why.

DavidWhitbeck:
You've lost me. I understand how the path is (0,0)->(x,0)->(x,y), but I don't understand how that would leave me without a two.
When I posted it was late, and I was sufficiently frustrated with the the latex codes, so neglected to show how I got those two answers, I'll post that now, and perhaps it will make my questions more clear.

f(z) = z
z = x + iy
dz = dx + idy ( <-- for some reason this doesn't look right, this time around, but I can't place it)
splitting f(x) into real and imaginary parts we get
f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y)
u(x,y) = x
v(x,y) = y

[tex]\int[/tex]f(z) dz= [tex]\int[/tex]z dz
=[tex]\int[/tex][u(x,y) + iv(x,y)][dx + idy]
=[tex]\int[/tex]u(x,y)dx - [tex]\int[/tex]v(x,y)dy +i[[tex]\int[/tex]u(x,y)dy + [tex]\int[/tex]v(x,y)dx]

then integrating z dz
[tex]\int[/tex] z dz
= [tex]\frac{z^{2}}{2}[/tex]
plug in z = x + iy
=[tex]\frac{(x + iy)^{2}}{2}[/tex]
=[tex]\frac{x^{2} - y^{2} + i2xy}{2}[/tex]
=[tex]\frac{x^{2} - y^{2}}{2} + ixy[/tex]

but if we integrate with the substituted formula

[tex]\int[/tex]x dx - [tex]\int[/tex] y dy + i[[tex]\int[/tex] x dy + [tex]\int[/tex] y dx]
= [tex]\frac{x^{2}}{2} - frac{y^{2}}{2} + i[xy + yx][/tex]
= [tex]\frac{x^{2} - y^{2}}{2} + i2xy [/tex]

1. What is integration of complex functions?

Integration of complex functions is a mathematical process that involves finding the antiderivative of a complex-valued function. This is similar to finding the area under a curve in real-valued functions, but in complex functions, the antiderivative is a complex-valued function rather than a real-valued one.

2. Why is integration of complex functions important?

Integration of complex functions is important because it allows us to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps us understand the behavior of complex systems and make predictions based on mathematical models.

3. What are some techniques for integrating complex functions?

Some techniques for integrating complex functions include using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, contour integration, and the method of residues. These techniques involve manipulating the complex function and using properties such as analyticity and Cauchy's integral theorem to solve the integral.

4. What are the challenges in integrating complex functions?

One of the main challenges in integrating complex functions is the existence of branch cuts and branch points, which can make the function non-analytic and difficult to integrate. Another challenge is dealing with the presence of singularities, where the function becomes infinite, and traditional integration techniques may not work.

5. Are there any applications of integration of complex functions in real life?

Yes, there are many applications of integration of complex functions in real life. For example, in physics, complex integration is used to calculate the electric field and potential of charged particles. In economics, it is used to model and predict the behavior of financial markets. In engineering, it is used to solve problems related to electrical circuits and signal processing.