Moment of inertia tensor problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the moment of inertia tensor for two point masses connected by a massless rod in a Cartesian coordinate system. The relevant equations and transformations are used to calculate the inertia tensor for the original coordinates (a), and then the transformation law for tensors is applied to find the inertia tensor in the new coordinates after a rotation about the z-axis (b). It is determined that the only non-zero components for the original coordinates are I_xx and I_zz, and in the new coordinates, the inertia tensor should be calculated as I' = L^T I L.
qoqosz

Homework Statement

In Cartesian coordinate system are two point masses of mass [tex]m[/tex] connected with massless rod. Masses are in [tex](0,r,0)[/tex] and [tex](0,-r,0)[/tex].
a) Find the moment of inertia tensor.
b) Points were rotated in OXY plane such that angle between rod and Y-axis is [tex]\vartheta[/tex] (new cooridnates of masses are [tex](-r \sin \vartheta, r \cos \vartheta, 0)[/tex], [tex](r \sin \vartheta, -r \cos \vartheta, 0)[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\hat{I} = \left(\begin{matrix}
I_{xx} & I_{xy} & I_{xz}\\
I_{yx} & I_{yy} & I_{yz}\\
I_{zx} & I_{zy} & I_{zz}\\
\end{matrix}
\right)[/tex]
[tex]I_{xx} = \sum _{k} m_{k} (y^{2}_{k}+z^{2}_{k}) = \sum _{k} m_{k}(r^{2}_{k} - x^{2}_{k})\![/tex]
[tex]I_{yy} = \sum _{k} m_{k} (z^{2}_{k}+x^{2}_{k}) = \sum _{k} m_{k}(r^{2}_{k} - y^{2}_{k})\![/tex]
[tex]I_{zz} = \sum _{k} m_{k} (x^{2}_{k}+y^{2}_{k}) = \sum _{k} m_{k}(r^{2}_{k} - z^{2}_{k})\![/tex]
[tex]I_{xy} = I_{yx} = - \sum _{k} m_{k} x_{k}y_{k}\![/tex]
[tex]I_{yz} = I_{zy} = - \sum _{k} m_{k} y_{k}z_{k}\![/tex]
[tex]I_{zx} = I_{xz} = - \sum _{k} m_{k} z_{k}x_{k}\![/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Using relevant equations I get
[tex]\hat{I} = \left(\begin{matrix} 2 m r^2 & 0 & -2 m r^2 \\ 0 & 4 m r^2 & 0 \\ -2mr^2 & 0 & 2mr^2 \end{matrix}\right)[/tex]
is it correct?

b) I'm not sure, hence I'm asking :) - is it enough (and correct) to calculate:

[tex]\hat{I}' = \hat{I} \left(\begin{matrix} \cos \varphi & \sin \varphi & 0 \\ -\sin \varphi & \cos \varphi & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{matrix}\right)[/tex] or maybe [tex]\hat{I}' = \left(\begin{matrix} \cos \varphi & \sin \varphi & 0 \\ -\sin \varphi & \cos \varphi & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{matrix}\right) \hat{I}[/tex] or sth else?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a) I think there are only contributions in the top left and bottom right components.

Using your formulae, I_xy, I_xz and I_yz are all zero as they all involve multiplying by the x or z component of either particle's position (both of which are 0). Therefore all the off-diagonal entries must be 0. I agree with you for I_11 and I_33 however - I get both to be 2mr^2. However, the middle component, I_22, must be 0 as it's the sum of the square of the z component and the square of the x component but both x and z are 0 are mentioned previously.

To sum up, I get 2mr^2 in the top left and bottom right and 0's everywhere else.

Hope this helps.

b) wikipedia tells me the -ve signs should be the other way round in your rotation matrix for a rotation about the z axis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotation_matrix). Wikipedia calls this matrix R_z,theta, however we'll call it L. As your examining the moment of inertia tensor we need to use the transformation law for tensors:

I'_i,j=l_i,alpha*l_j,beta*I_alpha,beta

this implies that in terms of matrices, I'= L I L^T where L^T is the transpose of L

Just copmute that matrix product or you could repeat the process in a) using the new coordinates but this would be a bit tedious.

Let me know if this works. Also I'm new-ish here - how do you type in LaTeX?

Thanks for your replay.
But [tex]x_i[/tex] isn't x component of particle position but its distance to X-axis.
So for example [tex]I_{xz} = -m r \cdot r - m r \cdot r = - 2 mr^2[/tex]. Only [tex]y_i = 0[/tex] because both particles lie on Y-axis.

PS. To type in LaTeX use [tex] tags.

Ok. Well I reckon my method for b) is still right.

Just reading my notes. I think that I_xx is the copmonent about the x axis.
r^2 - x^2 represents the perpendicular distance squared betweent he mass and the x axis.
but here x^2 is just the x component.
so y^2 + z^2 = r^2 - x^2 is just the sum of the squares of the y and z components and this represents the square of this perpendicular distance.

To see this, consider I_yy, as you dais both particles lie on the y axis, therefore there can be no moment of inertia about this axis and so I_yy=0

Last edited:
Ok, I was wrong. x_i is x component of mass position.
But in b) I think if L is a matrix of rotation there should be [tex]I' = L^T I L[/tex].

qoqosz said:
Thanks for your replay.
But [tex]x_i[/tex] isn't x component of particle position but its distance to X-axis.
Yes, it is. Another way to look at the inertia tensor for a collection of point masses about the origin is

[tex]\mathbf{I} = (\sum_k m_k\,r_k^2)\mathbf{1} - \sum_k m_k\,\mathbf {r}_k \mathbf {r}_k^T[/tex]

where [itex]\mathbf{1}[/itex] is the identity matrix, [itex]k[/itex] indexes the point masses, [itex]m_k[/itex] is the mass of the kth point mass, [itex]\mathbf {r}_k[/itex] are the coordinates of the kth point mass written as a column vector, and [itex]\mathbf {r}_k \mathbf {r}_k^T[/itex] is the outer product of that vector with itself. In terms of components, the above expression becomes

[tex]I_{ij} = \sum_k m_k(r_k^2\delta_{ij} - r_{k,i}r_{k,j})[/tex]

latentcorpse was exactly right in post #2. The only non-zero components of the inertia tensor for part (a) are Ixx and Izz.

qoqosz said:
Ok, I was wrong. x_i is x component of mass position.
But in b) I think if L is a matrix of rotation there should be [tex]I' = L^T I L[/tex].

Yes. You're correct here. That's what I was getting at but maybe it wasn't clear as I wasn't using LaTeX. However, in your original post, you only appear to have multiplied by one of the transormation matrices.

Ok, thank you both! :)

1. What is the moment of inertia tensor?

The moment of inertia tensor is a mathematical representation of the distribution of mass of a rigid body around an axis or point. It is a 3x3 symmetric matrix that describes the rotational inertia of an object.

2. How is the moment of inertia tensor calculated?

The moment of inertia tensor is calculated by summing the products of each mass element in the object and its respective distance from the axis of rotation squared. This calculation can be done for each axis of rotation to create a 3x3 matrix.

3. What is the significance of the moment of inertia tensor?

The moment of inertia tensor is an important quantity in rotational dynamics as it determines how much torque is needed to cause a certain amount of angular acceleration in an object. It also plays a crucial role in the conservation of angular momentum.

4. How does the moment of inertia tensor change with different orientations?

The moment of inertia tensor changes with different orientations as it is dependent on the distribution of mass in the object. For example, a rod will have a different moment of inertia tensor when it is rotated around its end compared to when it is rotated around its center.

5. What are some real-world applications of the moment of inertia tensor?

The moment of inertia tensor is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and robotics. It is used to analyze the stability and dynamics of rotating objects, design aircraft and spacecraft, and develop control systems for robots and other mechanical systems.