Hamiltonian problem concerning the simple harmonic oscillator

In summary: Can you please clarify what you need me to do?In summary, the student attempted to solve a three-dimensional Schrodinger equation by using the method of separation of variables, but was not familiar with it. They found the following solution: -h-bar^2/2m*((phi_i(x)''/phi_i(x))+(phj_j(y)''/phj_j(y))+(phk_k(z)''/phk_k(z))+1/2*k*(x^2+y^2+z^2)=ECorrect.
noblegas

Homework Statement

use the hamiltonian equation H=H_x+H_y+H_z to show that wave functions of the form
[tex]\varphi[/tex](r)=[tex]\phi[/tex]i(x)[tex]\phi[/tex]j(y)[tex]\phi[/tex]k(z)

where the functions phi_i(x) are the energy eigenfunctions for a 1-d SHM , satisfy H*phi=E*phi , and find the followed values of E for the 3-d oscillator

Homework Equations

H=-h-bar^2/2m*del^2+1/2*K*r^2, k is a constant

r^2=x^2+y^2+z^2

del^2=d^2/dx^2+d^2/dy^2+d^2/dz^2

The Attempt at a Solution

H=d^2/dx^2(-h-bar^2/2m)+1/2*k*x^2+

Homework Statement

use the hamiltonian equation H=H_x+H_y+H_z to show that wave functions of the form
[tex]\varphi[/tex](r)=[tex]\phi[/tex][SUBi[/SUB](x)[tex]\phi[/tex]j(y)[tex]\phi[/tex]k(z)

where the functions phi_i(x) are the energy eigenfunctions for a 1-d SHM , satisfy H*phi=E*phi , and find the followed values of E for the 3-d oscillator

Homework Equations

r^2=x^2+y^2+z^2

H=d^2/dx^2(-h-bar^2/2m)+1/2*k*x^2+

Homework Statement

[tex]\varphi[/tex](r)=[tex]\phi[/tex][SUBi[/SUB](x)[tex]\phi[/tex]j(y)[tex]\phi[/tex]k(z)

Homework Equations

r^2=x^2+y^2+z^2

H=d^2/dx^2(-h-bar^2/2m)+1/2*k*x^2+d^2/dy^2(-h-bar^2/2m)+1/2*k*y^2+d^2/dz^2*(h-bar^2/2m)+1/2*k*z^2

not sure how to proceed with my solution but I am sure the equation i*h-bar*dphi/dt=H*ohi will play a role in helping me form my final solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is asking you to solve the 3-D Schrodinger equation by using the method of separation of variables. Are you familiar with this method?

kuruman said:
The problem is asking you to solve the 3-D Schrodinger equation by using the method of separation of variables. Are you familiar with this method?

Somewhat, the second derivative are already explicitly given in the equation for the hamiltonian. you would not take the second derivative of phi with respect to x, y, and z and then plug them into the hamiltonian expression would you?

Yes I would. Then I would divide by φ(r) and see what I get.

kuruman said:
Yes I would. Then I would divide by φ(r) and see what I get.

yeah, but phi is not given, only my hamiltononian equation is given and I have to show that the equation [tex]\varphi[/tex](r)=[tex]\phi[/tex]i(x)[tex]\phi[/tex]j(y)[tex]\phi[/tex]k(z)

φ(x,y,z) is given. You are told it is the product of harmonic oscillator solutions to the one-dimensional Schrodinger equation. Each factor in the product is a function of a single independent variable, x, y or z.

kuruman said:

I don't think the problem requires him to actually solve the 3D-Schrödinger equation, only show that as long as [itex]\phi_i(x)[/itex], [itex]\phi_j(y)[/itex] and [itex]\phi_k(z)[/itex] satisfy the corresponding one-dimensional Schrödinger equations, [itex]\varphi(\textbf{r})=\phi_i(x)\phi_j(y)\phi_k(z)[/itex] will satisfy the 3D equation.

@noblegas Just substitute [itex]\varphi(\textbf{r})[/itex] into the 3D Schrödinger equation and carry out the derivatives...what do you get?

kuruman said:
φ(x,y,z) is given. You are told it is the product of harmonic oscillator solutions to the one-dimensional Schrodinger equation. Each factor in the product is a function of a single independent variable, x, y or z.

you are right.

I got my final solution to be:

-h-bar^2/2m*((phi_i(x)''/phi_i(x))+(phj_j(y)''/phj_j(y))+(phk_k(z)''/phk_k(z))+1/2*k*(x^2+y^2+z^2)=E

Correct. Now look at the piece of this equation that depends only on x. This is

[tex]-\frac{\hbar ^{2}}{2m}\left(\frac{1}{\phi _{i}(x)}\frac{\partial ^{2} \phi_{i}(x)}{\partial x^{2}}\right )+\frac{1}{2}k x^{2}[/tex]

Then look at the one-dimensional Schrodinger equation in x. What can the expression above be replaced with? Do the same for y and z.

kuruman said:
Correct. Now look at the piece of this equation that depends only on x. This is

[tex]-\frac{\hbar ^{2}}{2m}\left(\frac{1}{\phi _{i}(x)}\frac{\partial ^{2} \phi_{i}(x)}{\partial x^{2}}\right )+\frac{1}{2}k x^{2}[/tex]

Then look at the one-dimensional Schrodinger equation in x. What can the expression above be replaced with? Do the same for y and z.
[tex]-\frac{\hbar ^{2}}{2m}\left(\frac{1}{\phi _{i}(x)}\frac{\partial ^{2} \phi_{i}(x)}{\partial x^{2}}\right )+\frac{1}{2}k x^{2}[/tex]=[tex]E[/tex]? Sorry about my latex

Which E? It can't be the same as the E in the original equation because that is the sum of three such terms. Better call it E1. Now do the same for y and z and put it together.

kuruman said:
Which E? It can't be the same as the E in the original equation because that is the sum of three such terms. Better call it E1. Now do the same for y and z and put it together.

I think it would be appropriate to call this particular expression E_x since the derivatives of phi are taking with respect to x.

Correct. You know from having solved the one-dimensional problem what the allowed values for Ex are. You should write them in terms of quantum number nx. Do the same for the other two directions, put it back in the 3-D equation and you should end up with an expression for the total energy E for the 3-D oscillator.

kuruman said:
Correct. You know from having solved the one-dimensional problem what the allowed values for Ex are. You should write them in terms of quantum number nx. Do the same for the other two directions, put it back in the 3-D equation and you should end up with an expression for the total energy E for the 3-D oscillator.

Should I apply the Energy equation for the simple harmonic oscillator E=(1/2+n)*[tex]\hbar[/tex]*[tex]\varpi[/tex]

Yes.

1. What is the Hamiltonian problem concerning the simple harmonic oscillator?

The Hamiltonian problem concerning the simple harmonic oscillator refers to the mathematical analysis of the motion of a particle in a potential well that follows the laws of simple harmonic motion. It involves using the Hamiltonian equations to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the particle at any given time.

2. How is the Hamiltonian problem solved for the simple harmonic oscillator?

The Hamiltonian problem for the simple harmonic oscillator can be solved using the Hamiltonian equations, which involve taking the partial derivatives of the Hamiltonian function with respect to position and momentum. These equations can then be solved to obtain the equations of motion for the particle.

3. What is the significance of the Hamiltonian problem for the simple harmonic oscillator?

The Hamiltonian problem for the simple harmonic oscillator has important implications in physics and mathematics. It can be used to model the behavior of various systems, such as a mass-spring system or a pendulum, and it also has applications in quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics.

4. How does the Hamiltonian problem relate to energy conservation?

The Hamiltonian problem for the simple harmonic oscillator is closely related to energy conservation. This is because the Hamiltonian function represents the total energy of the system, and the Hamiltonian equations describe how this energy is conserved as the particle moves within the potential well.

5. Can the Hamiltonian problem be extended to more complex systems?

Yes, the Hamiltonian problem can be extended to more complex systems by including additional variables in the Hamiltonian function. This allows for the analysis of systems with multiple particles or with interactions between particles. However, the underlying principles and equations for solving the problem remain the same.