Help Design a Human-Powered Helicopter

In summary: I don't know if ground effect would be significant with the slow-moving rotors of a human-powered helicopter. I've seen experiment results that show the effect dropping off quickly as the rotors move away from the ground (< 3m).Stability and control will be major issues, and I believe electronics are not allowed by the rules.And the problem is not impossible. We have better engineering tools than at any time in the past. We just have to take advantage of them.When they say 'human powered' - do they count 'human fuelled'?A gas turbine will run on bio-diesel !Looks like you are going to need Leonardo on this one.He's
ok first off i didnt read every post. I am an Airframe and Powerplant mechanic, certified to work on anything that can fly and is certificated by the FAA.

Normal helicopters have around a 30 foot rotor diameter with the blades being approximately 15 feet long and around 1 foot wide. Normal rotor speeds on most helicopters is around 390 rpm's. To produce enough lift to lift a 500 pound helicopter with a ~200 pound pilot you would need about 200 rpm's of rotor speed.

Through gearing and designing a working flight control system you could do it with a normal person working the controls and pedals. Remember work smarter not harder.

With 4 axis controls it could be done.

If you build the frame from Plastic Tubing it would be strong enough and light enough for a short flight, just secure the glue joints with screws to increase the strength.

If you use gearing like a 18 speed bike to drive the main rotor and have a shaft go from the main "gearbox" to the tail gear it would be easy enough for a person of normal physical abilities to power it, and with the 4 axis controls you can regulate the amount of thrust and you will be able to keep it within the "square" so to speak.

The design would end up looking more like a modern helicopter than a weird science project gone bad.

So this being said...it would be possible to fly it across the channel if you have someone that knows how to fly it right since once its in flight you could basically autorotate, no power, for a certain distance then apply power climb to a few hundred feet and auto rotate again, the light weight of the frame and the aerodynamics of the blades would keep the aircraft in flight like a glider over longer distances.

Sorry for the long post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you help me index the PRTs of a wright 3350?

I'm a bit rusty on the radials.

Last edited:
I have very limited experience on radial engines...most of my experience is on turbine helicopters ( bell 206 and UH60 blackhawk)

I was lucky to get my A&P back when radials were still part of the program.

HowlerMonkey said:
They need to change the powerplant's (awesome blonde chick) indexing between the pedals and the hand crank as well as change how her posture is aligned with the force she is exerting.

They could also make far more use of her power if they added as large a diameter flywheel to the pedal crank assembly.

It could be very light with most of it's mass concentrated on the outer diameter.

As it is now, much of the energy is being used up by flex.

Agreed on all points (maybe not so much on the flywheel though).

From my experience with bicycles (I do have a fair amount) I agree that the whole seating position, and the initial driveline have a lot of room for improvement. There is a lot of flexing and what appears to be chain slap going on. If they spent some time with a quality cycle shop and fitter, they could certainly make a difference in getting it off the ground.

I recall reading from an article on human power that our muscles are at peak efficiency/power when contracting quickly at low load. So while it's good that she is working at a high RPM when it starts to lift off the ground, I'd venture to say her motions are too frantic and unbalanced at that point.

Another point which I just thought of: I could certainly be wrong, but aren't there more effective ways to use a human's arm power?

When I think of using my arms powerfully, the last thing I think of would be making a pedaling motion in front of me. Rather, I would think that a rowing motion, or pulling your arms towards your chest is the best way to use those muscles...

I'm sure they could come up with some type of ratcheting chain drive for the arms, to mate with the pedal cranks...

I was hoping someone would chime-in regarding my post above... Has this project ended?

I really think there is room for improvement in better-utilizing her arm power.

Still pedaling the arms, but Gamera II flew 50 seconds June 21st. I think they are planning another attempt in August 2012.

http://www.agrc.umd.edu/gamera/

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool achievement, but let's be honset it's still well within the ground effect. It seems to me this is more accurately described as a human-powered hovercraft or ground-effect vehicle...

<h2>1. How does a human-powered helicopter work?</h2><p>A human-powered helicopter works by converting the energy from human pedaling into rotational motion, which then powers the rotors to generate lift. The pilot pedals a series of gears and chains that are connected to the rotors, allowing them to spin and create lift.</p><h2>2. What materials are used to build a human-powered helicopter?</h2><p>The materials used to build a human-powered helicopter vary, but typically include lightweight materials such as carbon fiber, aluminum, and titanium. These materials are strong and durable, but also lightweight to reduce the overall weight of the helicopter and make it easier to fly with human power.</p><h2>3. How much weight can a human-powered helicopter lift?</h2><p>The amount of weight a human-powered helicopter can lift depends on various factors such as the design, materials used, and the strength and endurance of the pilot. The current record for the Sikorsky Prize, which requires a flight of at least 60 seconds and a height of 3 meters, is 198 pounds (90 kg).</p><h2>4. How long does it take to build a human-powered helicopter?</h2><p>The time it takes to build a human-powered helicopter varies, but it typically takes several months to a year to design, build, and test a functional prototype. This process involves a team of engineers, designers, and pilots working together to create a safe and efficient helicopter.</p><h2>5. What are the challenges of designing a human-powered helicopter?</h2><p>Designing a human-powered helicopter presents several challenges, including weight limitations, aerodynamics, and pilot endurance. The helicopter must be lightweight to be able to fly with human power, but also strong enough to withstand the forces of flight. The aerodynamics must be carefully considered to ensure efficient lift and control. Additionally, the pilot must have the strength and endurance to power the helicopter for an extended period of time.</p>

1. How does a human-powered helicopter work?

A human-powered helicopter works by converting the energy from human pedaling into rotational motion, which then powers the rotors to generate lift. The pilot pedals a series of gears and chains that are connected to the rotors, allowing them to spin and create lift.

2. What materials are used to build a human-powered helicopter?

The materials used to build a human-powered helicopter vary, but typically include lightweight materials such as carbon fiber, aluminum, and titanium. These materials are strong and durable, but also lightweight to reduce the overall weight of the helicopter and make it easier to fly with human power.

3. How much weight can a human-powered helicopter lift?

The amount of weight a human-powered helicopter can lift depends on various factors such as the design, materials used, and the strength and endurance of the pilot. The current record for the Sikorsky Prize, which requires a flight of at least 60 seconds and a height of 3 meters, is 198 pounds (90 kg).

4. How long does it take to build a human-powered helicopter?

The time it takes to build a human-powered helicopter varies, but it typically takes several months to a year to design, build, and test a functional prototype. This process involves a team of engineers, designers, and pilots working together to create a safe and efficient helicopter.

5. What are the challenges of designing a human-powered helicopter?

Designing a human-powered helicopter presents several challenges, including weight limitations, aerodynamics, and pilot endurance. The helicopter must be lightweight to be able to fly with human power, but also strong enough to withstand the forces of flight. The aerodynamics must be carefully considered to ensure efficient lift and control. Additionally, the pilot must have the strength and endurance to power the helicopter for an extended period of time.